Transition from accordion to piano
I am sure there are many like me that were trained on the accordion but then also attempted to transition to the piano or keyboards.   I have had no formal lessons on piano but have played it for better or worse for many years.   My right hand is strong as would be expected but my left hand is weak.   My style is not really a pianist style of playing, especially the left hand.   I have tried to build it up by doing Hanon exercises and other things but a couple of exercises and my left wrist starts getting painful and eventually will lock up on me.  I tend to play a lot of bass lines on piano rather than typical piano style.   Play more chords with lead on right hand.   When I play songs with arpeggios and the like on left hand, again the left hand gets painful.

Anybody done this transition and have recommendations on ways to build up the left hand and develop more of a piano style playing?

PS.   I have a digital keyboard, weighted (Yamah MOXF8 presently).   Little lighter touch than standard piano.   I used to play the grand piano at work and the fully mechanical keyboard is even tougher on the wrist.
Mike Klemen
Richmond, VA USA
Hey Mike,
You’re probably not getting replies because most have gone the other way, or just stuck with accordion.
I would say get a teacher who may notice something in your left hand positioning  that is causing pain. When I started to learn the left hand of the accordion, my hand hurt all the time. I know that a teacher would probably look at my playing and help me make the adjustments. Not only are the notes in a completely different place, but the technique is radically different.
Best of luck!
Bugari “Blue 72”, Tiger Combo ‘Cordeon, Iorio Concert Accorgan G Series (electronics removed), Hohner 1974 Melodica (Piano 36)
(21-05-2020, 03:28 AM)Eddy Yates Wrote: Hey Mike,
You’re probably not getting replies because most have gone the other way, or just stuck with accordion.
I would say get a teacher who may notice something in your left hand positioning  that is causing pain. When I started to learn the left hand of the accordion, my hand hurt all the time. I know that a teacher would probably look at my playing and help me make the adjustments. Not only are the notes in a completely different place, but the technique is radically different.
Best of luck!

That's true. I was playing the piano for 5 years before starting on the accordion. Picked up the lefthand side rather quickly, because I was still quite young (12 years or so). People who learn at a later age have more trouble. And that's true for going the other way as well. When you are no longer very young it takes much much more practice to get any good at playing a musical instrument you are not yet familiar with than when you learn as a child.
It's not just a matter of the fingers not being fast and strong enough but also of the brain that needs to tell the fingers what to do. A teacher may help with learning the basics but cannot really compensate for the problems that come from "old" age.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl
Hi Mike. One tip from me is make sure you are sitting sufficiently high so that your wrist is comfortably parallel with the keys (or even a little higher if it reduces wrist strain) . I too have an MOXF8 and I like it a lot but I do notice that the bed for the keys and other electronic gubbins is quite deep so you have to be careful on what type of stand you use to get the right height.
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA