• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

5 switch LMMH?

isorry123

Reaction score
Stumped on this -

I’m picking up a Marca d’Oro accordion and it has five register switches on the treble side. With LMMH… the missing switch is on the bottom right side of the box, peeking out.

I’m going to buy it either way but curious if anyone has seen a setup like this. You’d expect for a true LMMH it would have like, an MH, MMH, LH, etc etc

My theory is that they may have left the other options off in order to keep the price down
IMG_1954.png

Last edited:
it does not have 4 reedblocks.. they lied

it is LMH

it also may have the gold sparkle bass buttons to match the treble sharps,
in which case DO NOT BUY IT

the box has lost one shift face, usually from the glue being hopelessly
dried out then a tap makes it give way

there is other evidence of mildew

this would be a marginally marketable/useful 3/4 size box when fixed up and tuned

Where do you see mildew at? The gold flecked bass button prediction was there. Is this just a 1960’s noob trap?
IMG_1955.png

The setup could also be LMM, in which case the "master" switch lies. It shows as LMH but is more likely LMM.
This is rather common on older Italian accordions. I have a Crucianelli that has switches suggesting LMMH but it really is LMMM. The Italians just found the switches with LMMH (but really LMMM) and MMH (but really MMM) prettier looking...

i noted traces where the keys were windexed off but still those
faint outlines of mildew in the usual places.. over time you will
start to spot those things too..

the issus i feel with Mildew is that you never know for how long
a period of time it was active, and how much hidden damage
it caused. Though you can clean it off and buff stuff out, since
there are so many old accordions out there, i usually wait for
the cleaner ones that lived for 5o years in the back of a first floor closet

yep.. those buttons have an achillies heel.. they deteriorate from
UV and age and their integrity becomes weak and they crumble dramatically

Marco d'Oro sometimes has better quality in some full size models,
but basically they were a student acordion private label imported by the Gretch
musical instrument company. They were a broad MI products distributor for
many decades, though eventually they returned to their roots as
a professional Drum and Guitar manufacturer in the USA

Marco d'Oro sometimes has better quality in some full size models,
but basically they were a student acordion private label imported by the Gretch
musical instrument company. They were a broad MI products distributor for
many decades, though eventually they returned to their roots as
a professional Drum and Guitar manufacturer in the USA
Interesting thank you - I’ll keep that in mind

It is likely an LMM but it COULD be a LMMM, just like my Iorio S3. Mine also shows a piccolo reed on mine, but but I promise you there is none... lol
It does have a pretty nice musette and a slightly odd bandoneon (with 1 "off" reed" added to the bassoon reed) registers.
S3 Registers.png

What's wrong with matching gold sparkle bass buttons.
There's been several reports of accordions with translucent gold speckled bass buttons where large numbers of these bass buttons have proved to be not robust and have simply crumbled away.
As replacements are not easily available, indeed unfortunate owners have had to make their own out of whatever they could find, it may be easier just to avoid getting entangled. 🤔

It is likely an LMM but it COULD be a LMMM, just like my Iorio S3. Mine also shows a piccolo reed on mine, but but I promise you there is none... lol
It does have a pretty nice musette and a slightly odd bandoneon (with 1 "off" reed" added to the bassoon reed) registers.
S3 Registers.png

How do the 'clarinet' and 'oboe' registers differ @JerryPH ?

Back