• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

A newbie with a wonderful older Hohner, any ideas on model/age?

Nice little 26-key "pokerwork" box, I think. Most of the accordions this size (and pattern) that I've seen are two-row button boxes, not piano accordions. The bass is a bit limited (I'm guessing root, major, minor). But for basic folk music it will work well. I'd look for some books of Morris dance tunes, or English Country Dance Tunes if you want to be a bit more ambitious. I'm a little confused by the "spikes" at each end of the grill. Do those have a function?

Yes, I’ve run into the same situation where this has all of the hallmarks of a pokerwork but I’ve yet to see one with the piano keys.
The spikes at the end of each grill are actually just little screw eyes that manually turn to hold the grill cover on. Cheers!B3DF5127-980F-48ED-8244-C622E11A8104.jpegE48F028C-1DA6-4D02-8EB4-01B2BB79EC69.jpeg

That box is gorgeous! I have a very similar one dating from 1932, and I guess yours is probably a little later, seeing as the decoration is more like the pokerwork melodeons, which have been in their current form since the 1950s. All in all, the pokerwork pattern, wooden grille and casein buttons point to it being mid-late 1930s.
This one below is mine - you can see the overall shape is very similar to yours, but the keyboard ends are a little more exaggerated and the pattern, while still pokerwork-esque, is very different. You can't see the grille, but it's essentially identical to yours.
This one in the eBay listing is similar to yours - the pattern is identical, but it has keyboard ends like mine, and mushroom buttons like a pokerwork melodeon. There are obviously a few designs of pokerwork piano accordion, but I've never seen a 24 bass like yours before!

Attachments

• IMG_4505.jpeg
    IMG_4505.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 8
That box is gorgeous! I have a very similar one dating from 1932, and I guess yours is probably a little later, seeing as the decoration is more like the pokerwork melodeons, which have been in their current form since the 1950s. All in all, the pokerwork pattern, wooden grille and casein buttons point to it being mid-late 1930s.
This one below is mine - you can see the overall shape is very similar to yours, but the keyboard ends are a little more exaggerated and the pattern, while still pokerwork-esque, is very different. You can't see the grille, but it's essentially identical to yours.
This one in the eBay listing is similar to yours - the pattern is identical, but it has keyboard ends like mine, and mushroom buttons like a pokerwork melodeon. There are obviously a few designs of pokerwork piano accordion, but I've never seen a 24 bass like yours before!
Thank you soo much! I’d run into dead ends in my search. It’s the 24 bass buttons with keyboard that has me stalled. That’s a great help. I really appreciate your comments!

Back