• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Accordion opinion

Parcelman

Reaction score
I just bought this accordion cheaply for about $200AUD from someone who was retiring and thought I'd learn how to play. However, I don't know much about accordions in general, and was wondering what kind of accordion this is, and how much it's actually worth.72782410-df8e-4c6b-a688-a090ad0d1293.jpg4da1b152-e067-488b-829e-b88711688f61.jpgd197ec8c-2b8e-47f2-864c-d402d0620852.jpg7f281407-395f-4be7-9988-c68acd73bd1a.jpg

Last edited:
Parcelman,
Welcome!🙂
Unfortunately I can't get your images to focus at all, so I'm unable to distinguish the relevant details.
Sorry 😐
Who's the maker?🤔

Parcelman,
Welcome!🙂
Unfortunately I can't get your images to focus at all, so I'm unable to distinguish the relevant details.
Sorry 😐
Who's the maker?🤔
I just tired editing the post, hopefully that improved the images. The make is Galanti I think

OK, something's happened and the images are now focussing (intermittently) 🤔😐.
Well, we have seen this particular company logo on the forum before, a G on a shield surmounted by a coronet, but I can't remember the name of the company. Maybe someone will.🫢
It's from post the waterfall keyboard era, so maybe early 1950s🤔
It has three voices (LMM), 41 treble keys
and 120 bass buttons.
Did it come with a hard case?🤫
It looks in reasonable cosmetic condition .
Depending on playability, the price you paid seems about at the lower end asked for similar instruments.🙂

Last edited:
Good brand, lower end but full size accordion. Good price it seems, but that of course depends on the internal condition of the instrument. Enjoy your new toy!

That's what I found about Galanti fisarmoniche.

Attachments

• 1697525329059.png
    1697525329059.png
    994.5 KB · Views: 4
OK, now we know it's a Galanti from around the later 1950s, depending on playability, you've done well.
You'll often find various different Galantis listed on Facebook, eBay and Gumtree check it out!👍🙂

Last edited:
Good brand, lower end but full size accordion. Good price it seems, but that of course depends on the internal condition of the instrument. Enjoy your new toy
One of the keys is a little out of tune unfortunately. How difficult would that be to fix?

One of the keys is a little out of tune unfortunately. How difficult would that be to fix?
There are several reasons a reed can go out of tune. Hopefully there isn’t any rust on it. If you can do some detective work to identify the specific reed and get a picture of it. If all the obvious stuff looks ok it may need to be tuned which requires a certain amount of research/practice to do.

Can be easy, can be hard... A good look inside is needed to decide whether something is "wrong" or whether the reed has just gone out of tune over time, which is normal. When you think one note is out of tune a skilled accordion tuner will probably find that with a bit of luck one note is not out of tune and the rest all need tuning...

If you live near one of the State capitals, unless you intend to set up as an accordion tuner, my advice would be to go to one of your local accordion technicians and have it fixed professionally (around $55).🙂
They already have all the experience, tools and materials you'll just be groping in the dark.
Just my 2c worth.

There are several reasons a reed can go out of tune. Hopefully there isn’t any rust on it. If you can do some detective work to identify the specific reed and get a picture of it. If all the obvious stuff looks ok it may need to be tuned which requires a certain amount of research/practice to do.
Can be easy, can be hard... A good look inside is needed to decide whether something is "wrong" or whether the reed has just gone out of tune over time, which is normal. When you think one note is out of tune a skilled accordion tuner will probably find that with a bit of luck one note is not out of tune and the rest all need tuning...
After fiddling around with it more, I've discovered the key only sounds off when I am pushing the bellows in, but sounds perfectly fine when I am bringing them out. So now I am wondering if it isn't out of tune and there is another simpler problem, perhaps a blocked reed maybe?

There is a separate reed tongue for in vs out. If I remember correctly this accordion has 3 treble voices so each note on the right hand must have six reed tongues that should be in tune.

"After fiddling around with it more, I've discovered the key only sounds off when I am pushing the bellows in, but sounds perfectly fine when I am bringing them out."
To summarise Ben-jammin,there's two reeds for each individual treble note for each individual voice: one reed sounds on the push, another one on the pull.
One may be malfunctioning, the other not: that's why the pull and push sound different.
I can't see well enough (due to the angle taken) in your photos whether it's possible to isolate all the voices individually using the couplers you have, but you certainly can isolate the bassoon coupler and see if the note works well in both directions.🤔
If it does, the the fault lies in one of the Middle reeds involved, if not, you've got the problem reed identified.
Now, if sufficiently handy (and daring) you may be able to open up the bellows and, using some "nouse" , identify the actual reed block and reed , take out the reed block in question, inspect the reed, ping/suck or blow the reed involved put it all together again and, if lucky, the problem could be fixed.
Simple really...in principle.🙂
If not, it may need a new reed valve/tuning/new reed + tuning + spot rewaxing + fixing anything else you managed to upset during your ministrations!😐
OR you could simply hand over $50 to $60 to your friendly accordion technician (for his expertise and being there) and, in a week or so, be back in business.
Your call!🤔😄
Then again , my old uncle had an equally elderly Hohner PA with a number of obtrusively "off" treble notes.
Neither he nor his wife or his elderly cronies cared and he just continued to play and love his accordion to the end.
He probably figured, after all, neither of them was perfect 😄🙂

Last edited:
After fiddling around with it more, I've discovered the key only sounds off when I am pushing the bellows in, but sounds perfectly fine when I am bringing them out. So now I am wondering if it isn't out of tune and there is another simpler problem, perhaps a blocked reed maybe?
The most likely answer to the problem after this discovery is that a the (leather or plastic) valve on the outside of the reed block has fallen off or is stuck open. (Fallen off is most likely.) You have to open up the accordion and look. Pull the bellow pins on the treble side and lay them aside in the right order. Lift the treble case and turn it over. It should be easy to spot the position where a valve has fallen off, and as the accordion is normally a closed box you should also find the valve inside somewhere... Take out the reed block, glue the valve back on, put everything back together.

Reed is almost loos, the wax is hard.

The most likely answer to the problem after this discovery is that a the (leather or plastic) valve on the outside of the reed block has fallen off or is stuck open. (Fallen off is most likely.) You have to open up the accordion and look. Pull the bellow pins on the treble side and lay them aside in the right order. Lift the treble case and turn it over. It should be easy to spot the position where a valve has fallen off, and as the accordion is normally a closed box you should also find the valve inside somewhere... Take out the reed block, glue the valve back on, put everything back together.
"After fiddling around with it more, I've discovered the key only sounds off when I am pushing the bellows in, but sounds perfectly fine when I am bringing them out."
To summarise Ben-jammin,there's two reeds for each individual treble note for each individual voice: one reed sounds on the push, another one on the pull.
One may be malfunctioning, the other not: that's why the pull and push sound different.
I can't see well enough (due to the angle taken) in your photos whether it's possible to isolate all the voices individually using the couplers you have, but you certainly can isolate the bassoon coupler and see if the note works well in both directions.🤔
If it does, the the fault lies in one of the Middle reeds involved, if not, you've got the problem reed identified.
Now, if sufficiently handy (and daring) you may be able to open up the bellows and, using some "nouse" , identify the actual reed block and reed , take out the reed block in question, inspect the reed, ping/suck or blow the reed involved put it all together again and, if lucky, the problem could be fixed.
Simple really...in principle.🙂
If not, it may need a new reed valve/tuning/new reed + tuning + spot rewaxing + fixing anything else you managed to upset during your ministrations!😐
OR you could simply hand over $50 to $60 to your friendly accordion technician (for his expertise and being there) and, in a week or so, be back in business.
Your call!🤔😄
Then again , my old uncle had an equally elderly Hohner PA with a number of obtrusively "off" treble notes.
Neither he nor his wife or his elderly cronies cared and he just continued to play and love his accordion to the end.
He probably figured, after all, neither of them was perfect 😄🙂
Any specific YouTube tutorials you'd recommend to help with this? 😅

Personally, I leave all my repairs to the tech, but there's some tips here:🙂

Here's a related issue:

"Pinging" a reed to free it:

One more (but there's really no end to it! 😄)🙂

Last edited:
Reed is almost loos, the wax is hard.
Another possibility!👍🙂
If so, you should (possibly) hear a distinct "click", as the reed plate shifts about in its seat, on changing bellows direction?🤔🙂
Then you may need to rewax a reed plate 🤔.
Some tips:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
Another possibility!👍🙂
If so, you should (possibly) hear a distinct "click", as the reed plate shifts about in its seat, on changing bellows direction?🤔🙂
Then you may need to rewax a reed plate 🤔.
Some tips:

Personally, I leave all my repairs to the tech, but there's some tips here:🙂

Here's a related issue:

"Pinging" a reed to free it:

One more (but there's really no end to it! 😄)🙂

Thanks heaps! I will probably just take it to my nearest accordion repair, but these will be good to look at.

Back