• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Accordion tuner online. need advice.

frankpmcenroe

Reaction score
I have a need for a new tuner to tune one or two accordions. I did have an old one that was good. "Lost moving," don't mind buying software, my friend uses Ninga on line.

DaTuner Lite worked well for me for years. Eventually the screen became cluttered with advertisements making the tuner virtually unusable. I suppose that's a downside to it being 'free' in the first place. A tuner called 'PitchLab Pro' works well on my Android phone, stable and accurate (according to all the reference points I have available to me).

I use n-Track Tuner and PanoTuner on an iPad. They are both good, n-Track more technical and PanoTuner simpler and easier to use and the one I usually reach for - both are accurate compared to a hardware tuner and good tuning forks. At least one cost some money but I don’t remember which and how much. I know some others who also use PanoTuner.

I sprung for the 5 bucks for the 'Bond Accordion Tuner' earlier this year. If you only work on piano accordions it's probably worth it to save you the bookkeeping, and test all the reeds in a voice at once. As it happens, I mostly work on CBAs and the app simply does not believe I might have 4 octaves, let alone 4½ or 5, in my right hand, and incorrectly handles the out-of-range notes. That's kind of a PITA.

The app has disappeared from the Google Play Store at some point in the last couple months. I don't know why.

For spot tuning of single notes, any old free tuner app and a pencil will do fine.

DaTuner Lite worked well for me for years. Eventually the screen became cluttered with advertisements making the tuner virtually unusable. I suppose that's a downside to it being 'free' in the first place. A tuner called 'PitchLab Pro' works well on my Android phone, stable and accurate (according to all the reference points I have available to me).
Not sure what you were using. The version 3.81 I am using (installed from the apk directly) has never ever shown any advertisement.

Not sure what you were using. The version 3.81 I am using (installed from the apk directly) has never ever shown any advertisement.
I'm not sure which version I was using or what criteria sets off the explosion of advertisements.
At one time a good tuner was an expensive, often cumbersome item. These days we're spoilt for choice with good, 'free', digital
ones. However it's fair to say that few things come 'free'.

I'm not sure which version I was using or what criteria sets off the explosion of advertisements.
At one time a good tuner was an expensive, often cumbersome item. These days we're spoilt for choice with good, 'free', digital
ones. However it's fair to say that few things come 'free'.
DaTuner Lite version 3.81 was the last completely free and completely add-free version. This explains why when you look for a download you will always find exactly this version.

The DaTuner problems are not new to this site:

The DaTuner problems are not new to this site:

But when you just Google for the terms DaTuner Lite 3.81 apk you will find several download sites.
Don't forget, after downloading the apk to first disable internet, then install the apk and tell your phone to never update this app. (After that you can enable internet again.)

But when you just Google for the terms DaTuner Lite 3.81 apk you will find several download sites.
Don't forget, after downloading the apk to first disable internet, then install the apk and tell your phone to never update this app. (After that you can enable internet again.)

frankpmcenroe: Many of the contributors on this very helpful site are of an age where the first flush of youth has passed some time ago. Many, not all by any means, have to make an extra effort to try and keep abreast of modern technology, myself included. That technology is often associated with phones and computers.
You say above that you were unable to download the DaTuner device and in the next sentence say you used the 'online metronome'. This suggests to me that you may have tried to download 'DaTuner' to the computer/online. This wouldn't work because as far as I know that tuner will only work on an android system (which is only associated with smart, mobile phones/again as far as I know).
I had a look at the online metronome/tuner, which works well enough, but on my system was limited to a frequency/hertz readout. Life is much simpler for accordion tuners when the readout is in cents because that is what is used when descriptions of tuning are made.
I hope this helps and I will not say anymore at present because without knowing if you actually use a 'smart' mobile phone then any suggestions might be no use.

I am using a desktop computer using the online Metronome I checked one of my accordions that had been serviced and tuned about twelve months ago. and I found all the notes were about 5% higher on the sharp side, I then tried Ninga Tuning same again about 5% on the high side is this normal or is it the fault of my computer mic/phone. I do have an old accordion that I am using for parts and was going to tune all the reeds put new valves and new wax.
frankpmcenroe: Many of the contributors on this very helpful site are of an age where the first flush of youth has passed some time ago. Many, not all by any means, have to make an extra effort to try and keep abreast of modern technology, myself included. That technology is often associated with phones and computers.
You say above that you were unable to download the DaTuner device and in the next sentence say you used the 'online metronome'. This suggests to me that you may have tried to download 'DaTuner' to the computer/online. This wouldn't work because as far as I know that tuner will only work on an android system (which is only associated with smart, mobile phones/again as far as I know).
I had a look at the online metronome/tuner, which works well enough, but on my system was limited to a frequency/hertz readout. Life is much simpler for accordion tuners when the readout is in cents because that is what is used when descriptions of tuning are made.
I hope this helps and I will not say anymore at present because without knowing if you actually use a 'smart' mobile phone then any suggestions might be no use.
Thanks for your reply, I am up to date with modern technology. the computer I am using I built myself, and I prefer to use it 32-inch monitors make working easier My android mobile works well but the screen is small. and is more prone to hackers. as more and more are using group Forum's to hack into phone accounts. I have done a lot of research on accordion repair and tuning; I have a background of working to repair antiques and old musical instruments I still need to learn more about tuning an accordion. the reason of not being able to download Da Tuner a problem with Microsoft' I just need advice on tuning each note should I tune the note to be spot on or lower or higher.

frankpmcenroe:
Your knowledge of computers etc. will hold you in good stead when using some of the modern technological devices that make life easier for accordion tuners.
You say you’ve looked at starting repairs on an older instrument, which is a good idea. (starting on an older instrument that is.)
It would help if you could publish pictures of this accordion, how many reed blocks/voices it has.
If it has treble reed couplers these can often indicate what the reed set-up is.
You say you have established that the reeds are 5% high. If this relates to +5 cents then I feel this is quite an acceptable reading. (An approx. 20 year old Brandoni which I recently had for repairs had the basic (untuned) reeds set about 8 cents).
I share your misgivings about insecurity both on the phone and computer. Sadly we can’t live our lives without them and I tend to deal with it by using a minimum of apps. etc.

frankpmcenroe:
Your knowledge of computers etc. will hold you in good stead when using some of the modern technological devices that make life easier for accordion tuners.
You say you’ve looked at starting repairs on an older instrument, which is a good idea. (starting on an older instrument that is.)
It would help if you could publish pictures of this accordion, how many reed blocks/voices it has.
If it has treble reed couplers these can often indicate what the reed set-up is.
You say you have established that the reeds are 5% high. If this relates to +5 cents then I feel this is quite an acceptable reading. (An approx. 20 year old Brandoni which I recently had for repairs had the basic (untuned) reeds set about 8 cents).
I share your misgivings about insecurity both on the phone and computer. Sadly we can’t live our lives without them and I tend to deal with it by using a minimum of apps. etc.
Thanks for your kind words, will get back with photos.

in case anyone around new jersey USA is following this thread and
also interested in tuners and doing it yourself, thre is no way the 30 cent Mic
inside a smart phone and general purpose computing electronics that
share resources with the hundred or so apps that run in the background
can have as accurate or quickly focused result as a good dedicated Chromatic tuner
that has good mics and does only one thing

frequency analysis and display

and at 30 bucks this is a steal..

i have no connection with New Jersey or the seller.. just passing the info along
as an alternative in the discussion.. i have owned and used Korg Chromatic tuners
since they first came out like 40 years ago or so as well as tuning forks for reference

for the die hards, there is a Conn Strobotuner over in Annapolis for 50 bucks
on CList too

and brand new from the music store Chromatic tuners are relatively inexpensive too

If "5%" means "5 cents" (5/100ths of a half step), this may mean that the instrument was simply originally tuned to A=441 (about 4 cents higher than 440) or A=442 (8 cents higher than 440) and has remained in tune with itself since. If you have an instrument serviced, it's usually only put in tune with itself, not changed from 442 to 440.

If 5% actually means 5% -- A is 462 Hz rather than 440 -- that'd be quite shocking, and would be very obvious if you tested any note on that instrument against whatever piano/synthesizer/other accordion/recording you had lying around.

Back