• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

All Hohner Student have the same sound?

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!
I am planning to buy Hohner Student as my portable piano accordion. It looks like there are some variations in Hohner Student: one with roman numerals, one with arabic numerals, and one just stamped "STUDENT". I looked at the list and understood that there was a difference in the production period, but are there any differences in quality due to the production period?

For example, in terms of the number of bass buttons, Student 40 looks like an intermediate model between IV/IVM (32 bass) and V/VM (48 bass), and is a perfect match for IVN (40 bass). Can I simply think of them as the same quality? Or do they have different sound depending on the model or the production period?

I need someone here know in detail. Thanks in advance!

Konnichiwa

are you asking because you will need to import one sight unseen ?

i would think there are some Hohners available in Japan Music stores
that you could try out before purchase ? but maybe not
ishibashi-music does not even carry Hohner Harmonicas

Shimamura carries one Hohner, it is a decent quality and reliable model
though not great or as good as a similar old model Hohner, but it is a
bit larger than what you might want

as for Shipping, if Australia is a good choice for you, there may be
some members here who might go and try an accordion you find online
at an Australian music store and help you select one

good luck

The lower end Hohner accordions (like Student) are definitely not all the same. A lot depends on when they were made, and that also relates to where they were made. Initially Hohner made everything in Germany. Nowadays the lower end accordions are all made in China. Their quality is similar to "native" Chinese accordions (i.e. "not very good"). As the sound is determined by many physical parts/aspects of the accordion, not just on the shape but also what wood is used, which reeds, made with which steel, etc... A friend of mine for instance tried one of the Verdi accordions made in China, next to an older Verdi (same size), still made in Germany. The difference was night and day, and definitely not in favor of the newer one...

Thank you both. (Arigato for Ventura :))
I'm sure similar questions have been asked many times in the past, so I can understand if everyone fed up, but please forgive me to try to explain again. I may have been lacking an explanation.

I'm looking to buy a used accordion on eBay. There are a lot of old Hohner Students out there, probably made in Germany, and I'd like to know more about the differences between each model.

I've already read the discussion about whether or not to buy an accordion on eBay. (maybe I should have changed my Location. I'm temporarily out of Tokyo and no accordion shop nearby.) Regarding the "made in china" issue, I've read the similar discussion about Weltmeister. (maybe you were there, debra :))

The problem is that Hohner Student has a lot of variations.
one with roman numerals, one with arabic numerals, and one just stamped "STUDENT".
in terms of the number of bass buttons, Student 40 looks like an intermediate model between IV/IVM (32 bass) and V/VM (48 bass), and is a perfect match for IVN (40 bass).
Similarly, the one labeled only "STUDENT" (32 bass, produced in 1961) appears to have the same features as the 50's product Student IVM, but it was not labeled IVM. Since the Student 40 was produced in 1967, so it can be assumed that the naming style was changed to use Arabic numerals based on this unmarked one (substantially Student 32 ...?), but since the 1970s the Roman numeral series appears to have been produced again.

I would like to know if this slight difference in naming due to the production time means a minor change in appearance or a full model change including sound quality.

Maybe my question is fundamentally unnatural. Ordinary players will only know about the instruments they own, and if think about it normally, there is no need to own both 40 and IVN, which have similar function. So, unless one is a seller or repairer, no one may be able to explain the differences between the each models in the Student series...
As debra said, it may only depend on the the circumstances surrounding each instrument's production process and the model name may not guarantee quality. And that is why, as Ventura said, it may be the most important thing to try actually before buy it and feel if like it or not.

I think it might be better to change the question a little. It doesn't have to be about differences.
If anyone has owned Hohner Student in the past, could you please tell me which model it was and what it was like for you...?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-22 17.22.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-22 17.22.59.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I found you answered a similar question. I actually read that thread about a week ago, but am sorry, remembered it only as "N is for neu"...

Here debra mentions halfway through what I want to know:
In some sense the N and other letters do indicate a change of "internal mechanics or tuning" as each subsequent series has some design changes. This is most obvious in the move from unmarked or M (or D) series to the later N series when you look at the register buttons. Another change is that some older accordions had an internal bellows-locking mechanism and later series had bellow straps. And mechanics have also changed going from N to S, like in the Morino accordions. the most visible change there is the way the grille is held in place, with a lever in N and with decorative bolts in S, to prevent the grille to fall off mid-performance...

So the rest of what I want to know is whether "some design changes" in each series made any non-negligible change in the actual sound.

Last edited:

So the rest of what I want to know is whether "some design changes" in each series made any non-negligible change in the actual sound.
I do not have much experience with the Student models (none of the people I know have a Student. The lowest-end models I have seen and worked on are things like Verdi (wooden construction) and Lucia (metal construction).
If you want a decent accordion that may last you a long time I would recommend looking for a Verdi. A Verdi II is a nice 3 voice 37/96 accordion, not too heavy and fairly compact. (You need the generation with white register switches.) Any Verdi that's between 20 and 35 years old should be good.
The Student models are really the lowest of the lowest end that Hohner could build. Some they even had built by other companies, Italian or other (although Hohner would very likely deny that, but I know an eye-witness who saw Hohner Student accordions being built in Italy). That's why I recommend to stay away from the Student model and go at least one step up. You can buy a Hohner Verdi II (N) for not too much money these days.

I should add that while an eye-witness saw Hohner Student accordions being made in Italy there are also Hohner Student accordions with the white oval register switches that are different from what Hohner used itself but are the switches used by Czech (or Slovakian) accordion makers. So what I know is that Hohner Student accordions were being made in at least three different countries (before the move to China). I very much doubt that all these different models have the same sound.

That's why I recommend to stay away from the Student model and go at least one step up. You can buy a Hohner Verdi II (N) for not too much money these days.
The portability is important for me in this time and that is why i was focusing on Student only, but I'd like to do some research on Verdi and Lucia as well. To be honest, I was surprised that some of used Verdi was almost the same price as used Student, although it seems to have far more functions than Student...

there are also Hohner Student accordions with the white oval register switches that are different from what Hohner used itself but are the switches used by Czech (or Slovakian) accordion makers.
This point and why is very interesting. After looking images on Google and checking against the list, it seems to be models with Arabic numerals produced in 1995: Student 48, 60, 72, 80, 96, 120.
By the way, you recommended the one with white switches in Verdi, does it also indicate some particular makers?

Every your information help me a lot. Thanks!

Last edited:

By the way, you recommended the one with white switches in Verdi, does it also indicate some particular makers?

Every your information help me a lot. Thanks!
There are differences in the white switches.
The "good" (German) switches have a soft curved top edge, just like Morino switches (Morino N and S).
The suspect switches have a narrower "sharper" curved top edge.
Here for instance is a Hohner student with the suspect switches. (Image taken from an accordion shop.)

pict88_2.jpg
It is likely built in the Czech republic.

And here is an image of a Hohner with the right type of switches (notice the soft curved top edge).
P3042875.jpg
I believe the Verdi series was made in Germany only, until production moved to China.
There are two versions of this Verdi: one as shown here and one with a complete row of "gold" trim corners instead of just 5.

The Verdi models are often offered for sale (used) for a good price. All "metalbau" Hohners (like Lucia, Pirola, Atlantic...) tend to be more expensive even though I have found that they have rubbish quality components inside (like poor quality reed blocks) and a harsh sound (the metal case does not mellow down the sound like a wooden case does). I always recommend to avoid all "metalbau" Hohners.

Thanks a lot, debra. I'm glad I asked here. I learned a lot more than I Googled alone. A week ago I was searching Google first, but in the last few days I've been coming to this forum first to search. Thank you!

Back