• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Any info on the Excelsior 456?

Zvon

Reaction score
Found and bought this very ce Excelsior 456 yesterday!
Does anyone have info on this model?
I bought it from the original owner and when I asked him when he purchased it, he told me he thought it was in the 80's.

It has rocker switches and a system (shown in the 3rd photo) to unmute the 4 switches at once thus bringing up the master register.
It's a piece of plastic attached to 2 small metallic bars, presumably attached to something in side the accordion that presses on the switches.

Attachments

• Exc456_01.jpg
    Exc456_01.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Exc456_02switches.JPG
    Exc456_02switches.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Exc456_03bar.jpg
    Exc456_03bar.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Yes, that’s called a palm switch (since you press it with the palm of your right hand). I’ve seen palm switches on many accordions. The rocker switches are fairly unique to Excelsior. Since the musette tends to be very subtle on Excelsiors, I’ve always found it awkward that they don’t tell you which one is “true” and which is pitched sharp. It’s important to figure that out.

Thanks for the reply! I had seen the term palm switch on this forum but didn't make the connection. I am still very new to accordions.

Indeed the musette is very subtle on this one. I also have an Excelsior Digisyzer that has a more pronounced musette. On the latter, the rightmost medium is marked M+. I assumed that it would be the same with the 456, and it is.

Back