• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Bass patterns when playing with a TUBA!

Knaggsorama

Reaction score
Hi All,
I play 120 bass piano accordion, and I am working with an old time jazz/dixieland group which has both a tuba player, and finger picking guitar which also contains alot of bass.

I am looking for suggestions of bass patterns that keep my playing energetic, but not crowded or clashing with the other bass instruments.

In the past I have done just the root of each chord, but I'd like to add a bit more movement in places to keep things lively.

Thanks in advance!

The "Mighty Accordion" instruction books recommended on another thread recently would seem to offer lots of help relevant to your questions. Apparently there's a Vol. 1 and a Vol. 2. Perusal of the content descriptions on A or wherever should help illuminate as to areas covered.

I am looking for suggestions of bass patterns that keep my playing energetic, but not crowded or clashing with the other bass instruments.

I'm assuming that the tuba is playing the same sort of "root, 5th, root, 5th..." bass part that your bass buttons normally play when doing the standard alternating bass pattern? In that case, IMHO it's simple: Don't play a bass pattern. Or at least don't play any bass buttons. Oh maybe a little jab here and there, but no need to hold down the fort. You can still play the chord buttons on the upbeats, as usual. Or heck, if the guitarist, or your right hand, has the upbeats fully covered, you don't even need to do that.

This is no different than any other player of an instrument with a wide range: Piano, B3 organ with pedals, etc. When playing alone, feel free to have a field day and cover all the parts needed. But if there's another musician there whose job it is to handle one of those parts, stay out of the way and let them do it.

And yes, this means you may not be as "busy" or fully-occupied as you're used to. But it also frees you up to be creative, stretch out, and have fun.

When I play the bass on my accordion in a group context, it is not to add anything musically but a time keeping aid for myself. I always am stage-left so the bass side of the accordion is away from the rest of the group.

Back