• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Bm with a G bass note

davidplaysaccordion

Reaction score
I have an accordion piece that wants me to play a Bm with a G bass note.
Now I can do it but it's a heck of a stretch down to the G and the only other G is just as far up the bassboard so neither are good really.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to better play this?

Can you perhaps play it in the right hand?

If it were me I would just ignore it if it’s too inconvenient but that’s why they call me rustic….🤣.

Index finger on chord.....pinkie or 4th on the G
Best practice and get used to it..... you're going to need this shape a lot as time goes on....
Either that or change to a french 3x3 stradella layout that allows the G to be found in the top row....
I have both but after much practice think I prefer the original stradella for this move even though was harder at first....

Another cheat may possibly work is to just play a g chord instead of the Bm.....if there's an A or F# in the melody may work... experiment with your ears...

Combining Tom's and losthobos' thoughts... GM/G in the left hand and add a F# to the right hand if there isn't one already.

If you play jazzy pieces you'll see a lot more major seventh chords and probably need to just get used to the stretch.

Well, the Bm is coming from a Dm with an F (which I can do relatively easily) so the long stretch down to the lower G is easiest (I use the term loosely). Playing the upper G on the counter bass row is less of a stretch but does require a major switch in finger shape. The Bm is followed by a D major with an A bass note so keeping everything in the same relative place seems to work best.
I might ex[experiment with some alternate voicings but other than that, I guess I'll just have to get used to it 😁

It's all good practice though so it's all good.

I'd just been looking at Bill Evans Peace Piece...which just vamps two chords...Cmaj7 to G9sus4...
Lazy cop out is to play the Cmaj7 as both C and G chord together (really Cmaj7/9) which allows easy move to F chord G bass (G9sus4)
I'm all for lazy cop outs.....

Another cheat may possibly work is to just play a g chord instead of the Bm.....if there's an A or F# in the melody may work... experiment with your ears...

That's what I was thinking - G+Bm is Gmaj7, so simplify to G major.

NB: I have an anarchic piano teacher who encourages me to use the printed music only as a guide and to interpret, so do not do what I do!

I have an accordion piece that wants me to play a Bm with a G bass note.
Are you sure that's not a Bbm (Bflatminor) chord?
In which case:
Put your index finger on G bass and your pinky on Bbm (third row down ).
Practice will make it easy!🙂

Last edited:
I'd just been looking at Bill Evans Peace Piece...which just vamps two chords...Cmaj7 to G9sus4...
Lazy cop out is to play the Cmaj7 as both C and G chord together (really Cmaj7/9) which allows easy move to F chord G bass (G9sus4)
I'm all for lazy cop outs.....

Samesies.

It certainly is possible, with practice, to nail Bm/G. But since that's effectively a Gmaj7 chord, you can nearly always "upgrade" it to the much easier Gmaj9 in the manner you describe.

certainly is possible, with practice, to nail Bm/G. But since that's effectively a Gmaj7 chord, you can nearly always "upgrade" it to the much easier Gmaj9 in the manner you describe.
I often use the Bm/G set up for other songs ... especially if walking bass needed...
However on this tune I need to play G13sus4 next...or in Muppet terms Gtriad with an F bass so the Gmaj9 leads simply....and I need simple

Back