• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Brandoni - what model is it?

Liang

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first thread post but have been reading for a while.
I recently came across one brandoni 41/120, 3 voice LMM accordion (photos attached). It has the classic grill and serial number 133, but clearly not the currently on-sale 133C. It seems a discontinued model so I wonder if anyone could help with some information, such as does it have hand-made reeds, and in which era was it made? Any information appreciated.

Best regards,
Liang1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

And, any guidance on how to tell the difference between hand-made and machine-made reeds, would be greatly helpful too!
Thanks.

in which era was it made? Any information appreciated.
Hi Liang,
The styling suggests late 1980s to early 1990s.🤔
It's amazing how accordion builders mimic each other throughout the decades: just like car makers, really!😄

And, any guidance on how to tell the difference between hand-made and machine-made reeds, would be greatly helpful too!
Thanks.
Machine reeds can be recognized by the heads of the rivets (that hold the reed tongues on the reed plates): they have a flat head, because they are hammered in by a machine and are hit straight on.
Tipo a mano and a mano reeds (hand finished versus hand made) are hammered in by a person using a hammer and you can see the hammer marks on the heads of the rivets. Tipo a mano reeds are stamped out of a sheet of steel. A mano reeds are stamped out of a steel ribbon, where the width of the ribbon equals the width of the base of the reed (where the hole for the rivet is). The side of the base of the reed is dark blue (like the underside of the reed). The side of the base of a tipo a mano reed is shiny like the top, not blue.

Hi Liang,
The styling suggests late 1980s to early 1990s.🤔
It's amazing how accordion builders mimic each other throughout the decades: just like car makers, really!😄
Many thanks for the information!
Like you said, when I called a local shop to ask for an evaluation, they said "features (he meant full decoration in context) become not favorable then some years ago, popular again"...😄
It's also amazing to see that the accordions decades old are kept in such good conditions, soundwise and cosmetically.

Machine reeds can be recognized by the heads of the rivets (that hold the reed tongues on the reed plates): they have a flat head, because they are hammered in by a machine and are hit straight on.
Tipo a mano and a mano reeds (hand finished versus hand made) are hammered in by a person using a hammer and you can see the hammer marks on the heads of the rivets. Tipo a mano reeds are stamped out of a sheet of steel. A mano reeds are stamped out of a steel ribbon, where the width of the ribbon equals the width of the base of the reed (where the hole for the rivet is). The side of the base of the reed is dark blue (like the underside of the reed). The side of the base of a tipo a mano reed is shiny like the top, not blue.
Thank you very much for the clear guidance.
I opened one of mine before but didn't appreciated the sophistication inside. More attention to be paid in the future.

Attachments

• IMG20231023092148.jpg
    IMG20231023092148.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 20
Thank you very much for the clear guidance.
I opened one of mine before but didn't appreciated the sophistication inside. More attention to be paid in the future.
It's not very clear in the picture (due to the angle) but it looks like the sides of the base of the reeds are blue, which suggests a mano reeds.

Back