• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Bruckners 6th for small ensemble with accordion

niels

Reaction score
last month I visited a concert by Camerata RCO. Director Rolf Verbeek had arranged Bruckners 6th to suit his chamber ensemble. It was a wonderful experience. The accordion felt completly natural and in the right place. This youtube movie gives a taste of it.

I've long held the opinion that an accordion should be accepted as regular orchestral instruments, sad that it is not and likely never will.
Its just the same in the uk. I replied to an advert for musicians to play in an amateur group who could read music and were grade 3 to 5, the advert had pictures of accordions ,among other instruments, on it, the reply was negative because they had no music to suit accordions.
Now their advert does not show the accordions and the advert specifies “orchestral instruments”

hi guys, thanks for the replies. It made me realize even more how special the Bruckner concert was. Arranger Rolf Verbeek did a wonderfully creative job for having the accordion as one of the characteristic voices in his ensemble.
the reply was negative because they had no music to suit accordions.
I do know of classical music performed on accordion (heard some beautiful Bach for instance). But music composed for an orchestra that has the accordion as one of its colors not so much. Hopefully this Bruckner piece is inspirational :)
This is to my limited knowledge... if you know of any classical music in this vein pls feel free to share

last month I visited a concert by Camerata RCO. Director Rolf Verbeek had arranged Bruckners 6th to suit his chamber ensemble. It was a wonderful experience. The accordion felt completly natural and in the right place. This youtube movie gives a taste of it.

excellent!

Very nice performance and blend of instruments. It's typical of NPO (dutch public television) to hide anything that can be seen as an advertisement. The accordion appears to not have a logo (or has black tape over it, I couldn't tell) but I'm pretty sure it was a Bugari. That of course helps in making it sound so nice in the ensemble... ;)

in the concert I could not see the accordeon well but you could be right debra... Ellen Zijm does play a Bugari.
Here she is in another collaboration, with Marijke Schroer on saxophone

Back