• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

can anyone help me on this accordion

andyt90

Reaction score
Hello everyone i joined this forum as i found this in my grandads garage can anyone please give me some info on it how old it is and it is worth anything looks very old has the word the winner on it.
Many thanks
Andy

Attachments

• IMG-20240809-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20240809-WA0000.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20240809-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20240809-WA0002.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 17
Hi Andy. It is a very old, one-row melodeon, frequently used in traditional Cajun and Quebecois (French Canadian) folk music, as well as other folk styles. It has the notes of one diatonic scale, and each button gives you two different notes, depending on whether you are pushing or pulling the bellows. With only ten buttons, you get twenty notes.

It probably isn't worth a lot in its current condition, but there are people who like to restore old melodeons who may be interested if you want to sell it.

There is some melodeon knowledge on this forum. However, I suggest you post your inquiry on melodeon.net which specializes in this type of accordion.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info any idea of a date, it's no use to me it works fine as far as i know but covered in dust needs a good clean so i'm glad to know that someone would want to restore it back to it's former gloly and make use of it. cheers Andy

It certainly looks pre-WWII underneath all the dust i will have a look at the sites i am from the Uk, it's a shame but i have no use for it, It would feel so wrong just to throw it in the bin. cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Accordions like this were produced in Germany for absolutely ages, from around the 1880s all the way up to the 60s. Most of the time they're not super high quality instruments, but they were cheap and extremely popular. They're also very fun to play, if they're in (or almost in) working order. Yours is probably pre-WWII, but I couldn't tell you if it was from 1910 or 1940. It's not worth a vast amount - definitely under £100, maybe under £50 - but it'd be worth something to someone, so definitely don't put it in the bin! If I were you I'd ask on melodeon.net as has been suggested; just like this forum it's a lovely friendly community and they'll be able to help.

Back