• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

cha-cha beat

get used to the pattern first by using only the bass rows, no chords at all
Eb______Bb______Eb______Bb ------- (Tea for Two)
1,3 and 1,3 and 123 and 1,, and (beats are on the numbers, silent on , )
Ab_____ Ab______Ab______F

after you have the rhythm down naturally with your bass notes,
add chords as accents between the beat
(the , , , )

another variation could be
1,,4/1,,4/123,/1,,,
bass on the numbers, chords on your choice of some comma's

your 2 beat break can be
1,3,/123,/1,3,/123,
before the bridge

you can almost hear some chord hits as syncopation

Thank you so much, very useful. This beat is not explained in any accordion book.
SweetMelody,
On a completely, non accordion, subject, I see you are in Fredericton.
I was in Fredericton in 1970, on the way up to Nova Scotia, and I seem to remember there was a museum there which had a giant frog in a glass case, Alongside was an old photo of a man looking at the frog and it came up to his knees!!
I also seem to recall a "magnetic road" where you put the car into neutral gear and it appeared to roll uphill.
Mind you this was over 50 years ago and my memory could be letting me down :unsure:

Thank you so much, very useful. This beat is not explained in any accordion book.

There was a Palmer-Hughes book dedicated to the Cha-Cha. Now out-of-print, but you could probably dig up a used copy.

They're all original pieces or arrangements of old (probably public domain) songs. No *hits*. But fun to play. Interestingly, the bass pattern used in it is pretty much the standard alternating bass pattern you use for polkas/marches/etc. The cha-cha rhythm comes from how they've arranged the right hand against that steady left hand beat. (Cha-cha is, after all, a very "four on the floor" sort of beat.)

Alternatively, there's Angelo DiPippo's "Basic Latin American Beats for Accordion" that briefly covers Cha-Chas as well as Beguine, Mambo, and lots of others. It does put more variety in the bass pattern. Sort of out-of-print, but I think you can still get reprints from Deffner: https://ernestdeffner.com/basic-latin-american-beats-for-accordion.html

SweetMelody,
On a completely, non accordion, subject, I see you are in Fredericton.
I was in Fredericton in 1970, on the way up to Nova Scotia, and I seem to remember there was a museum there which had a giant frog in a glass case, Alongside was an old photo of a man looking at the frog and it came up to his knees!!
I also seem to recall a "magnetic road" where you put the car into neutral gear and it appeared to roll uphill.
Mind you this was over 50 years ago and my memory could be letting me down :unsure:
The Colman Frog is still there in a museum in Fredericton, and the magnetic hill is still famous in Moncton.

There was a Palmer-Hughes book dedicated to the Cha-Cha. Now out-of-print, but you could probably dig up a used copy.

They're all original pieces or arrangements of old (probably public domain) songs. No *hits*. But fun to play. Interestingly, the bass pattern used in it is pretty much the standard alternating bass pattern you use for polkas/marches/etc. The cha-cha rhythm comes from how they've arranged the right hand against that steady left hand beat. (Cha-cha is, after all, a very "four on the floor" sort of beat.)

Alternatively, there's Angelo DiPippo's "Basic Latin American Beats for Accordion" that briefly covers Cha-Chas as well as Beguine, Mambo, and lots of others. It does put more variety in the bass pattern. Sort of out-of-print, but I think you can still get reprints from Deffner: https://ernestdeffner.com/basic-latin-american-beats-for-accordion.html
Thanks, I will dig up my old palmer collection.

Thanks for that (y) . Do you know if it is a real frog? It seems too big to be real.
The frog in the museum is a taxidermy of the real frog, so it must have been real.
You can read about it by following this link:

now i am seeing a nice mid sized old green accordion
with a picture painted on the bellows by some local artist
that is the "Coleman Frog" and expands and contracts upon squeezing..

i imagine this accordionist would be very popular in the local Pubs !

Tea 4 Two and Coctails 4 Two were the 2 most played cha-cha's
in the old days.. Coctails can swing into a Tango during the bridge
and back to Cha Cha

the sCha-Cha i learned much later (have mentioned it here before) is
Saigon Tep Lem.. the French influence in Vietnam made a lot
of fine music during their colonial period

Back