• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Considering Purchasing a Harmoneon

ganelon

Reaction score
After reading a bit online about harmoneons, the idea of a free bass instrument with an identical button layout to the treble side sounds appealing. I know it's a rare type of instrument, and looking online these were the only two I was able to find. I currently have a c-system 120 bass accordion with Stradella bass only which I had shipped from Liberty Bellows. Another reason I'm looking at a harmoneon is that the converter accordions that I see are all more expensive, around $5,000 minimum.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to work toward playing Bach fugues, inventions, etc and other classical music. I was wondering if there was anyone here with any opinions on either of the two harmoneons I found and the sites they are being sold on. I would appreciate any advice.

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I am also interested in getting a harmoneon.
I am driving through France next month and there are a couple near to my route that I could look at.
I'm not sure what the difference is between a harmoneon and a freebass cba.
If anyone can tell me I would be gratefull, thanks

Might be possible. I was looking on Leboncoin. depends whats still available and where in France :)

I think one with low bass notes at top mirroring the C system of treble side would make a real nice combo....tritones would be lovely option for Dom chords with minimum of hand movement...
Interesting...
@stickista ..you ever considered this option....I think Barry Harris approach would fall instantly beneath fingertips .

The other option I see for playing classical music is to get a converter bayan. I can find three row converter bayans online for around the $600-900 dollar range, but I wonder what quality you get for that price, and it would be more difficult to play with only three rows. I couldn't find much in the mid range price for converter accordions. It seems to be either three row ones for under $1,000 or five row ones that are all over $10k.

If you want small & freebass-only - look at bandoneons. There are bisonoric and unisonoric versions.
For large & free-bass only there's no competition with the Moschino, if you can find one.

Whether it's same layout left & right or not, makes little difference in my opinion. You will have to spend a lot of time playing scales & arpeggios anyway. Just because a mirrored system looks easy on paper, doesn't mean it plays the same. Furthermore, on accordions, RH uses 5-fingers and hovers over the keyboard, left is limited to 4 and is anchored to the box. You end up with different techniques even if the note layout is the same.

to get a converter bayan
Old professional models will almost certainly set you back a lot more than £1,000. Will be very heavy & the old converter mechs can be worn if it was played professionally for decades. Treble mechs too, but they are somewhat easier to replace.

Something like an old converter-equipped "Yasnaya Polyana" or "Rossia" will be very good, e.g. one here, but way out of your stated price range.
If not for the weight, these boxes, imho, can rival any modern high-end accordion because of the really high-quality & sweet-sounding reeds. The mechs are very dated compared to anything modern though!

Perhaps, the only budget option worth considering is a "Rubin" (or its predecessor, "Vostok") made by the Kirov factory. It's a mass-produced student-level converter model from ~ 1960s. The reed timbre is very sweet, and for a Soviet factory-made jobbie the build quality is reasonable. Reed quality is almost acceptable. The big problem with them is the horrible RHS keyboard (needs a complete rebuild & much lighter springs to make it playable), and the LHS converter mechs are very clunky and the switch can jam. The box itself can typically be had for under $500 after shipping from Eastern Europe & taxes, but getting it serviced & brought up to a playable standard by a local accordion repairman can set you back an extra $1,000.
From "Rubin"(older model), "Rubin 5" (from memory, 7/8 size), "Rubin 6" & "Rubin 7" I believe the "5" is considered a more successful model. I might be wrong.
Same issue as with the pro models - if it was used by a student to practice every day for a decade, it will be worn to death.

However, you most likely don't want a 3-row RH keyboard if you are playing B system. It's very limiting compared to 5-rows.
When you add up the pennies of buying, importing to US & servicing a Rubin, you're approaching the price of a reasonable condition pre-war bandoneon that, imho, will be a much better choice.

If in doubt, avoid anything else mass-produced in a Soviet factory - 99% of the stuff is horrendous & many boxes are not worth the cost of petrol to take them to the tip.

PS if you do decide to go for the "Rossia" in the link, I am not linked to the seller in any way, but I do know that the chap is a very highly respected fettler.

Last edited:
Anyway, moving on to the harmoneons.
Never tried one, so not speaking from direct experience, however:
If LHS is more spaced out than stradella buttons, that's not a good thing. Your LH movement is restricted & only has 4 useable fingers. A more compact FB set-up is better.
Large buttons & bigger spacing can also mess up your ability to hit the Stradella buttons on your chord bass box. For chord bass I love the large spaced-out bass buttons on the melodeon, but after playing them for a couple weeks, stradella feels extremely small & overcrowded.

Crosio ad says "single tone" bass. Does that mean one voice in the bass but two in the treble? Might not be a good idea.
A critical thing for fb, imho, is the left-right balance. Do everything you can to try before you buy.

Oh, and fb squeezebox is a demanding mistress, whatever shape or form it takes. I found that if I skipped a day or two of practice, the technique was falling apart very rapidly. The main reason why I decided to give up (for now at least) on fb is simply because I don't have enough free time to dedicate to practice.

@tcabot Thank you for the detailed response. I will look out for unisonoric bandoneons. The bugari harmoneon does look like it has 2 voices in the bass. But like you said the bigger buttons might be a disadvantage. If I could find a c system converter for the same price as the bugari harmoneon I think that would be ideal.

Maybe this listing would be good to look into?

Last edited:
After reading a bit online about harmoneons, the idea of a free bass instrument with an identical button layout to the treble side sounds appealing. I know it's a rare type of instrument, and looking online these were the only two I was able to find. I currently have a c-system 120 bass accordion with Stradella bass only which I had shipped from Liberty Bellows. Another reason I'm looking at a harmoneon is that the converter accordions that I see are all more expensive, around $5,000 minimum.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to work toward playing Bach fugues, inventions, etc and other classical music. I was wondering if there was anyone here with any opinions on either of the two harmoneons I found and the sites they are being sold on. I would appreciate any advice.
Re the Fratelli, They don’t say which direction the low notes on the free bass side go. Normally C system Free bass is mirrored… low notes at the top. But many harmoneums (sp?) have low note towards the floor.
Big difference.

After doing some more searching online, I'm considering these three models. One of them is a harmoneon and the other two are converters. If anyone would be able to offer an opinion which option would be preferable I would appreciate it. The Mondial converter has the most registers and a full 120 bass but it seems like more of a gamble since it is older and is being sold from an individual seller. Thank you for the advice.

That Bugari looks absolutely gorgeous and their build quality has always been fantastic.... however my alarm bells are screaming at the 444hz A tuning....
The Mondail is in Canada and looks perhaps what you are searching for...and as from Canada may be "tax exempt"...but don't take my word for that .
On a huge plus the Walther is able to switch between melody and stradella bass end....and is a sweet lightweight 72bass....so not a bathtub to handle....
Choices choices choices

Last edited:
Would the 444hz tuning just make it difficult to play with other people or is there something else about the tuning that makes it concerning?

If you're not playing with others or along to backing tracks it'll be fine....
I had a Bugari at 446hz, was a problem for the violin to tune that high.....never mind the untunable piano....was a lovely accordion though

Back