• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

DIY midi projects

KeysFla

Reaction score
This is a good source for getting midi information on your various connections needs. Many skilled people on this forum that are there to help.

Thanks! I've got a MIDI project I've been thinking about tackling for a while. If (big if!) I even get around to it, I'm definitely checking this out as a resource.

Thanks! Thomann sell a MIDI pedalboard kit that I've been eyeing for a while... https://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_mbp25_electronic_with_1_pedal.htm
I was thinking about it, too. But then I felt I would rather have a pedal board which is velocity sensitive. I think the Roland old PK-5/5a and recent PK-6 are the only ones on the market. Velocity is not needed for organ or pad sounds and even for upright bass or bass guitar you would probably not use it because at least I don‘t have enough motoric control in my feet. But used as a foot drum controller velocity makes a big difference.

And once in while I see the PK-5 second hand for the same price as the Doepfer kit + necessary parts for housing and panels etc.

Last edited:
I was thinking about it, too. But then I felt I would rather have a pedal board which is velocity sensitive. I think the Roland old PK-5/5a and recent PK-6 are the only ones on the market. Velocity is not needed for organ or pad sounds and even for upright bass or bass guitar you would probably not use it because at least I don‘t have enough motoric control in my feet. But used as a foot drum controller velocity makes a big difference.

And once in while I see the PK-5 second hand for the same price as the Doepfer kit + necessary parts for housing and panels etc.

I have two ideas, one is to plug it into the midi in on my Kawai piano, set it to church organ, then play toccata and fugue. The second was on stage to use it to trigger bass patterns, e.g. tapping the pedals to signal chord changes rather than individual notes.

Rosie C: That's the sort of project that would suit the kits. I would need to check their specification again to see if they could incorporate all the notes covered by two manual keyboards. You just have to handy with the soldering iron and comfortable with making simple key contacts.
To help you assess the kits here is a universal/standard Midi Note identification chart. Middle C is Midi Note number 60:MidiNotes.jpeg

One idea I have is to use a pedal to trigger the drum notes of the FR4x. Like for example a crash, or accent cymbal. I have demonstrated this with my FR1x. So it can be done. I will try to share this.

Just a note: widimaster products have MIDI soft thru possibilities. As found on page 84 of FR4x reference manual. Just substitute the computer softthru picture with the widi product plugged into accordion. With this Widi feature, we can receive normal midi control or program messages found in the Roland MIDI implementation chart.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 9
Those that are interested in MIDI System Exclusive messages for Roland FR4x/8x Expression, can be found here. I believe the system exclusive for the foot control switches can be found in our forum with a search.

Last edited:
Back