• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Do you know your Springs?

Plinky

Reaction score
Hi I had assumed that all accordion treble keys,had torsion springs,like melodeons?
But this is listed for accordion keys?I,m assuming its a misprint and its for the bass end?but what do i know.

Does anyone know if the new Silent key bravo version
has a different treble mechanism?that would use a spiral spring?

A common technique used on(one row Hohner 114s) springs is to put a kink in them as the boxes are highly sprung .
For the long single pallet covering four holes.

Springs obviously lose tension the more cycles
So the lovely light action on both my vintage boxes,is actually just 60 years of wear?

They have enough tension to close the pallets airtight but the “basket case” box needs stripping so I was going to replace all the springs /rod

But now I'm thinking of making the springs and trying to match something the tension of the 60 year old ones?

I'm also wondering if the very expensive boxes,don't use off the shelf Springs but better quality high carbon?
Are they calibrated better,?better consistency?
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3202.JPG
    IMG_3202.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-02-01 10.38.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-01 10.38.03 PM.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-02-01 1.55.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-01 1.55.12 PM.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 8
I'm amazed guys/gals,no comments.no insights not a single opinion!

I thought at least Ventura would have waded in with something like .................the Chinese just cant make a decent spring?
or as I have legs,I just walk to Castelfidardo for mine;)

So a thought for the day

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-13 11.20.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-13 11.20.07 AM.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 5
Not sure exactly what form of spring you need, but they are available:
Hi Glug many thanks I,m making the springs ,I have several gauges of sprung,and have a jig I can modify I used for making concertina springs

I think I'm overthinking it,a few posts mentioned Springs breaking on new Hohners and as I,m stripping the project box
I figured fit new springs as they are 60 years old, the really light action is just worn springs

The Melodeon mod is excellent make a big difference to the heavy action ,provided you don't over kink the spring and the pallet leaks :ROFLMAO:
I wondered if anyone was doing something similar on an accordion

I map everything out before I start a project.

"Does anyone know if the new Silent key bravo version
has a different treble mechanism?that would use a spiral spring?"

I think it unlikely just a misprint

Just trying to collate all the info ,I have some black walnut and I don't care if it affects the sound, it looks lovely.
Reeds look sorted now ,been rummaging around in boxes trying to find some vintage parts.
(y)

Attachments

• IMG_20240203_122932.jpg
    IMG_20240203_122932.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 6
Buying the Hohner Starlet 40 accordion ,has certainly answered my spring tension question.
As it was never played and it's at least 30 years old and pretty much identical bass treble mechanisms.

It's not a light action on my vintage boxes it's just torsion spring wear, perhaps not the most scientific of tests using weights ,but the starlet feels and reacts very like the new bravo.

I,m now thinking of incorporating some form of adjustable spring tension on the project box treble mechanism .just enough for the pallets to be airtight try and recreate that nice light touch on my Vintage boxes.

Plinky, I find that I prefer a light action, and I have adjusted the action on several accordions, my vignoni had what I thought was the right action , so I measured the pressure on the keys in the playing position with a gadget suggested by george bacich
I think it was about 100 gm, and then I set my other accordion to the same pressure, you have to take all the keys out and bend the torsion springs, i made a simple jig so that I could set them off the accordion.
A hohner had compression springs, I had to shorten these by chopping a piece off with a chisel, I bought some spare springs from hohner just in case I chopped too much off, and hohner actually recommended a minimum pressure, I ended up with them less than this, but they still sealed.
I did find on ebay a small gauge which gave me an accurate pressure measurement.
I do not know wether torsion springs get weaker with age but it is easy to bend them and you can buy new ones from cgm if you wish.

Hi Colin thanks that's very helpful i'm a big fan of the 60 year old Hohner's nice light action and torsion springs do have wear cycles,you can 3D print very small components.

Been chatting with my mate this morning and he is thinking adjustable slides “wedges”as you say just enough tension to be airtight.
we already have the basic treble mechanism ( hook out keys)
So I don't think it's going to be that difficult to incorporate the wedge.

But the arrival of the Starlet 40 has thrown a slight spanner in the Works 😁
I sent him the picture and his first thought was some sort of “cassotto” flat mounted no register
loads of space.

I have certainly had to revise my opinion on "what the case is made from" and how affects the sound
Its mounded plastic ,reed blocks plastic and she sounds great.

Attachments

• IMG_3733.JPG
    IMG_3733.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 9
Back