• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Excelsior A2 - any info?

DougJ

Reaction score
I have just purchased an Excelsior A2, which is from the professional series of Excelsior accordions. I haven't been able to find much information about this model of Excelsior accordion. I know it has LMMH reeds and a "vibrato" switch, which gives a sound similar to a Leslie speaker on a B3 organ. Any and all information would be appreciated. I haven't had a chance to open up the accordion yet to see if there are any dates stamped anywhere, but I'm thinking mid-60's to possibly 70's. I'm excited to own my first Excelsior, and this will be my main accordion I play.

Pictures would help. And let us know whether it says Made in Italy or Made in the USA on it anywhere. The early Excelsior I had for a while had the New York factory address stamped on all of the reed blocks, which made it pretty obvious it was one of the New York Excelsiors.

I received shipment of my A2 this evening, and unfortunately it wasn't properly prepared for shipment - the left hand buttons were not taped and the 4 outer rows were all not visible (they had dropped below the face of the LH button board. I'm really bummed because this accordion is in excellent condition - reeds are rust-free and all leathers are perfect. Maybe I can find another A2 or similar Excelsior accordion that meets my budget. Thanks for your reply, and I'm still looking for any info regarding the A2 model professional series accordion.

I received shipment of my A2 this evening, and unfortunately it wasn't properly prepared for shipment - the left hand buttons were not taped and the 4 outer rows were all not visible (they had dropped below the face of the LH button board. I'm really bummed because this accordion is in excellent condition - reeds are rust-free and all leathers are perfect. Maybe I can find another A2 or similar Excelsior accordion that meets my budget. Thanks for your reply, and I'm still looking for any info regarding the A2 model professional series accordion.
The problem of the chord rows all dropped down is typically caused by what JimD calls a "jumped pin". The key to fixing this is NOT BENDING ANYTHING. One stub on a piston somewhere has jumped past the lever it is supposed to push, or a lever may be stuck open somewhere and it's a matter of finding the offending one and gently moving it back past the lever in the other direction. It is a minor job for a skilled repairer and a major disaster for someone who sees it for the first time.

Thanks so much Debra for you post. I would really like to keep the accordion. I'm not afraid to go into an accordion, but I've not had any experience specifically about what you're talking about. It makes sense, as long as I can find the pin that's the problem. At least it doesn't sound overwhelming. I may try to work on it before I send it back to see if I can rescue it. Again, much appreciated for you taking the time to help me out. At least it sounds do-able, and I'm encouraged and optimistic! The reeds all look great!

Do you have any suggestions on how I might start to look for the pin that's jumped? There are no reliable accordion repair people within 6 hours of where I live, and I'm learning to do some accordion repair that I hope to be able to assist other members with in our accordion band since there isn't anyone nearby who repairs accordions.

just pop the strap out then the bass panel, shine a really good light in there
and start looking for WHAT IS DIFFERENT from everything else..

like the old Pete and RePeat cartoons from the sunday paper

it is a jungle at first to your eyes and brain, but eventually you will
start to see what's what

while you can press and release any buttons that have not collapsed
to try and help you understand how it works in there,
don't TOUCH anything else until you really for sure have spotted the
"difference"

take a photo or 3, upload them here.. Debra will let you know if you have
spotted the right pin(s)

Thanks for your help. I'm looking at it right now. It's going to have to do with the main spring as nothing has any tension on it. I'm looking at it upside-down so the buttons are down and protruding through the board to give me a better look. I'm really hopeful I can get this back on track so I can keep it and start playing it. I was concerned it was a basket-case, but now I'm hopeful :-)

Back