• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Excelsior Valve Pallets

ATB88

Reaction score
I have two Excelsiors (AC line) that have treble valve pallets that are metallic material and slip on/friction fit as opposed to the more traditional wooden waxed on pallets that all of my other instruments, and many other accordions have. I’m seriously contemplating a conversion back the wooden/waxed in style pallets with my technician as it’s been explained to me that in his opinion, they may be superior and possibly offer slight improvement in compression as the metallic slip on style are prone to easily being bumped out of place.

Wondering if anyone, especially the techs on here have experience with these two types of pallets especially in terms of if there are anymore thoughts on the pros and cons of each. I’ve seen several other Excelsiors of various vintages with the slip on friction fit metallic style and am curious for more info and food for thought on why this style of pallet was used and if they were “factory/stock” as I have heard that in decades past, Excelsior and others had a period in which they obtained and used some inferior pad glue that resulted in sticky keys - and perhaps the instruments including my own that I’ve seen were converted for that reason?. Picture attached for specific reference to the style I’m referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have two Excelsiors (AC line) that have treble valve pallets that are metallic material and slip on/friction fit as opposed to the more traditional wooden waxed on pallets .............................. I’m seriously contemplating a conversion XbXaXcXk (to) the wooden/waxed in style pallets
then it will not be an AC anymore

the precision, well designed, well built Pro level action is the result of all
components working as designed, in harmony

you might as well just sell them to someone who appreciates the AC as is
and buy something else that suits your preference for the old, rigid, wood
and wax system that loses it's perfect seal as soon as the felt backing begins to
compress and lowers, thereby losing the original angle that was waxed in place

not to mention it is a real art to matching the cassotto valves fit to equal the
pressure and lift of the easy to reach non-casstto valves.. if you are not really good at this,
you could be making adjustments for years to come till you get it half right

Excelsior and others had a period in which they obtained and used some inferior pad glue that resulted in sticky keys - and perhaps the instruments including my own that I’ve seen were converted for that reason?.
no repair tech EVER replaced the pallets when replacing the leather facings
(that the bad glue migrated through) which was all that was needed..
(and possibly the felts)

it rakes more time to thorughly clean the face plate than it does to reface
the leathers

Back