• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Fab Four: Freereeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonk

http://mudlark-music.com
Reaction score
fab_four_freereeds.jpg

I put these together and liked the effect. The photos are real. The one of George playing the enormous chord harmonica was the trickiest to find. It's from the cover of Beat Instrumental, July 1967, and was taken during the recording of Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite.

If I'm not mistaken, the pic with the Gola is no fake... Hohner actually used a few pics of Lennon playing a Gola in advertisements for Hohner for quite a few years.

Yes, there are lots of pictures of him with the Gola. I don't think there are any fakes here. I can't really verify the Paul McCartney one, though, to be fair.

While the photos may be entirely genuine it looks to me as though Paul has his fingers around the straps of the "concertina," rather than having the strap over the back of his hand, meaning he couldn't actually be playing it like that.

Tom, interesting, I can't quite make it out. It looked to me like the typical Anglo grip (thumb over strap, fingers under). I really am not sure of the picture's provenance though.

Tom, interesting, I can't quite make it out. It looked to me like the typical Anglo grip (thumb over strap, fingers under). I really am not sure of the picture's provenance though.
Looking again on a larger screen I think I can see a rather loose strap over the back of his hand.

(I'd be tempted to call it a German concertina rather than an Anglo.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back