• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

finger crawler or chord shape

bandoneon.hk

Reaction score
during the COVID, I tried to learn CBA unfortunately I didn't like the tone quality of the CBA teacher in my location.

I am not even familiar with the keyboard layout so I have some learning material with fingering to get me familiar with the location of each note. In this way of self-taught, I felt like my finger is playing like a crawler on the keyboard but I started to have intuition to move my fingers when I sight read the sheet of easy music.

near end of COVID I found a teacher who I like his music and tone quality. he is classical music trained. He taught me the proper way of sitting pose, moving hip to raise the accordion for hand to reach the button closer, the elbow position. I found all these are helpful. But he told me not to play like a finger crawler. He told me to analyze the sheet, break the notes of the music sentence into parts that the hand will jump back and forth as different hand shape on the keyboard, and press the button with visually minimum movement.

Then I noticed there are at least two kinds of professional accordion players. 1) finger crawler is usually found for those play non-classical music 2) hand shape jumping is usually found for those play difficult classical music.

my teacher is busy and not teaching anymore and I am self-taught again. my goal of playing accordion is to not for difficult pieces but some folk/pop/jazz songs also improvisatoin, should I keep playing as finger crawler?

during the COVID, I tried to learn CBA unfortunately I didn't like the tone quality of the CBA teacher in my location.

I am not even familiar with the keyboard layout so I have some learning material with fingering to get me familiar with the location of each note. In this way of self-taught, I felt like my finger is playing like a crawler on the keyboard but I started to have intuition to move my fingers when I sight read the sheet of easy music.

near end of COVID I found a teacher who I like his music and tone quality. he is classical music trained. He taught me the proper way of sitting pose, moving hip to raise the accordion for hand to reach the button closer, the elbow position. I found all these are helpful. But he told me not to play like a finger crawler. He told me to analyze the sheet, break the notes of the music sentence into parts that the hand will jump back and forth as different hand shape on the keyboard, and press the button with visually minimum movement.

Then I noticed there are at least two kinds of professional accordion players. 1) finger crawler is usually found for those play non-classical music 2) hand shape jumping is usually found for those play difficult classical music.

my teacher is busy and not teaching anymore and I am self-taught again. my goal of playing accordion is to not for difficult pieces but some folk/pop/jazz songs also improvisatoin, should I keep playing as finger crawler?
Old bloke just beginning on CBA and from my own limited experience I have found that practicing 'jumping' is significantly better in the longer perspective, especially on the bass side.
Forcing myself to play the treble keys without looking at them is also very productive in terms of accuracy, speed and in picking out melodies when listening to them.
Keeping my finger nails short also helps me with the arched hand form as it enables me to use of the tips of the fingers without making 'clacking' sounds.

Back