• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Hagström Accordia

niels

Reaction score
On a journey with a friend to Norway I picked up this accordion in Denmark. It is a Hagström Melodia made in Italy by Universal. It was meant as repair practice material but it seems a bit of cleaning is going to be good enough. It is voiced LMM which is quite to my liking. Happy days!
1000229485.jpg

I was under the impression they were made in Sweden.
And:

From the video notes:
"In reality Karl Erik Hagstrom went to USA in 1957 for his annual [accordion] sales trip, returning six weeks later having only sold about six Accordions. Yes, Accordions. That's what made the family company's fortune from it's start in the 1920's, but by the end of the 1950's Accordions were 'dead' in sales terms. He declared to the company "we must make guitars"... but don't waste all the materials we have left!So the glitter or sparkle guitar was born. Almost instantly the Italians and others were copying the idea. Two years later at the NAMM show Hagstrom received an order from Hershman Music of New York."
Also:

Last edited:
Back home again... Bass register mechanism needed some bending for to work smoothly again

One of the reeds is marked Bugari. From the forum I gathered that this does not mean that *the* Bugari firm made them, is that right?
To me it seems the reeds are ok but not super.

Attachments

• IMG_20241016_104041.jpg
    IMG_20241016_104041.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20241016_104140.jpg
    IMG_20241016_104140.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 8
One of the reeds is marked Bugari. From the forum I gathered that this does not mean that *the* Bugari firm made them, is that right?
To me it seems the reeds are ok but not super.
There was a reed maker named Bugari. Not related in any way to the accordion factory of Armando Bugari afaik.
The reeds in the Hagström appear to be machine reeds and also handled badly (during tuning) in the past. Not great.
Bugari made very good tipo-a-mano and a-mano reeds. The Hohner Morino N series (made by Excelsior) used Bugari tipo-a-mano reeds. Crucianelli used Bugari tipo-a-mano reeds (for instance in the Super Video) and a-mano reeds (for instance in the Baton). I have never come across an Armando Bugari accordion that used Bugari reeds (but that doesn't mean they do not exist).

Back