• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Hi, new here and need help with valuation and knowing what exactly I have

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, was trying to see if anyone could tell me more about these two accordions I inherited from my grandfather, they both seem to work at least from when I tried and sound in key.

Was wondering what i'm working with and what I could expect of value as I probably will be selling one and possibly trying to learn on the other, The Excelsior NY one is in mint condition as its been sitting in a protected case in a closet while the other serenelli is definitely in a little rougher condition but seems to work fine. Don't know if it would be worth it to try to learn on one of these, or just sell them both and get a possibly more beginner friendly one. Thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20240812_172917212.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240812_172917212.MP.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20240812_172938002.jpg
    PXL_20240812_172938002.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 35
Either will serve you well, but the Serenilini is the better box. Hand made reeds, more registers and likely a slightly better build leans things that direction.

They're both double octave tuned - four sets of reeds, one low, two middle and one high. The reason that one has more register switches than the other is because the Serenelli has switches that select preset combinations of reeds, while the Excelsior has one on/off switch for each individual set of reeds. The Excelsior is 1940s and might need a fair bit of work if it hasn't been serviced; I'm guessing the Serenelli is 1960s? Either way, the Serenelli probably has more value simply because the used accordion market is skewed towards post-war models, but I hear that the four-switch Excelsiors are rather lovely boxes.

Hi JL and welcome!🙂
You've been left quite a problem.
On the one hand, both instruments are well above average in quality and highly desirable...in "perfect condition ."
On the other hand, their age alone makes that highly unlikely and good accordion technicians are as scarce as hen's teeth and expensive.
The Serenelli alone appears (in the picture) to have a problem with some bellows corners🤫.
How far away are you from Philadelphia?
There's a well known accordion firm
( "Liberty Bellows ") ...check them out on Google... who buy, sell, and repair accordions and would most likely be interested in your instruments.
Give them a call and see what they can do for you?🤔
Good luck!🙂
See here:
And here;🙂
Here's a thread listing US and Canadian accordion shops and service providers:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone, the Excelsior seems to be the best maintained as I found a maintenance receipt from the 90s in its case, serenelli is definitely in rough shape as its been out in the open in basement and has a bit of rust and some scuffs. I probably will end up selling the Excelsior and keeping the other, only other issue will be finding a tech that could work on it.
I'm in Connecticut and know we have an accordion society and group so I may reach out to them.

Any ideas what I should expect as base sell value for the Excelsior in okay condition?

Thanks for the replies everyone, the Excelsior seems to be the best maintained as I found a maintenance receipt from the 90s in its case, serenelli is definitely in rough shape as its been out in the open in basement and has a bit of rust and some scuffs. I probably will end up selling the Excelsior and keeping the other, only other issue will be finding a tech that could work on it.
I'm in Connecticut and know we have an accordion society and group so I may reach out to them.

Any ideas what I should expect as base sell value for the Excelsior in okay condition?
If you are anywhere near North Caanan, go to the New England Accordion Connection and Museum, the owner Paul is a great guy. He has access to do the work or find someone that can do anything needed for you. While there, be ready to be amazed by a collection of accordions that span over 200 years. ;)

Let him know that Jerry from Montreal says "Hi!"

On the playing side, Im not sure why you have an interest in playing accordion for the first time later in life? Do you play another instrument and read music? If you're truly serious about playing ?? and not just looking for valuations, I suggest you keep the top-quality accordion and focus on getting lessons and not Tech support.

Regards,
RTW

Back