• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

I couldn’t resist local purchase...Adria CBA

Johnny

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all!

Just sharing some photos of a local used/fixer-upper CBA that I got recently. Not many CBAs in my neck of the woods, so I couldn’t resist 🥴

Adria Cromaton IV B, Grand Luxe, C-system. No cassotto, LMMM ( I think). 120 stradella bass. Flat treble board. Master chin switch. Made in Italy.

I love the sound of the treble side. No opinion about the bass - since a bunch of those reeds have fallen out (I have them). At first I thought about taking on the repairs as a hobby - but then I remembered: learning the accordion is my actual hobby at this point! So I plan on finding a pro to do the work.

Anyone have an idea of the year?

Attachments

• IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6820.jpeg
    IMG_6820.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6821.jpeg
    IMG_6821.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    538.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6774.jpeg
    IMG_6774.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6810.jpeg
    IMG_6810.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6809.jpeg
    IMG_6809.jpeg
    630.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6812.jpeg
    IMG_6812.jpeg
    564.3 KB · Views: 33
The reeds are shown from the wrong angle to be able to tell whether they are hand made or hand finished. (We need to be able to see the sides of the blued square part at the rivet to tell the difference.)
The "gold tips" are just copper weights added to lower the frequency of the reeds. To get the desired low frequency without adding weights would result in accordions that are much much larger in order to get the reeds to fit. Even Russian bayans with already quite a bit larger bass reeds still have copper weights added. I think for the lowest notes, without weights we would need reeds that are maybe 10 inches long, and they would use (waste) a lot of air along the sides of the reed tongue.

Hi Johnny
Adria accordions are quite common in Switzerland and especially in the Bern area (Belp is a town close to Bern). About 50-60 years ago, these instruments were built by the well-known contract manufacturers around Castelfidardo and then distributed by a dealer in Switzerland.
The instrument seems to have had a long journey behind it, during which the bass side lost its feathers. Interesting construction of the bass side.

Adria accordions are quite common in Switzerland and especially in the Bern area (Belp is a town close to Bern). About 50-60 years ago, these instruments were built by the well-known contract manufacturers around Castelfidardo and then distributed by a dealer in Switzerland.
This is fascinating information. Thanks, Ackordio! I had previously read on this forum that flat/non-stepped treble boards (like on this accordion) are more common in Switzerland. So this makes sense now. Its journey from Belp to the Sonoran desert here might be an good tale.
The reeds are shown from the wrong angle to be able to tell whether they are hand made or hand finished. (We need to be able to see the sides of the blued square part at the rivet to tell the difference.)
Thanks for having look, Dingo! And great question: I have no knowledge of their origin or the quality of the reeds. I do, however, enjoy the sounds of the ones that are in place and playing! 😅😊

Paul: Thanks for the helpful info about the reeds! I’ve included a few more photos, & tried to zoom on the part of the reed you mentioned.

Attachments

• IMG_7076.jpeg
    IMG_7076.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7078.jpeg
    IMG_7078.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7079.jpeg
    IMG_7079.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7081.jpeg
    IMG_7081.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7082.jpeg
    IMG_7082.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 10
The pictures clearly show hand-finished (tipo-a-mano) reeds. The sides of the square part around the rivet are blank steel, which means the reeds were cut out of a large sheet of steel, not a narrow ribbon (like in hand made reeds).
Tipo a mano reeds are a step up from machine reeds. They are good quality reeds. Most people won't notice the difference in sound between hand-made and hand-finished reeds, and those who can hear the difference often only can tell when hearing then side by side.

Back