• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Irish Waltz Tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very, very nice. I know Believe me all those etc, the the final one, Mountains of Mourne; any chance you could list the rest?

Panya37: The tunes are:- Believe me of all those endearing young charms, The stone outside Dan Murphy's Door (The Scottish version is called 'The Slippy Stone), Homes of Donegal, The Mountains of Mourne.

Thanks again! As I can play two of these walzes already it makes sense to learn a full set.

There are lots of Scottish and irish tunes that can be played as 'singy' waltzes. i.e. the dancers and those 'sitting out'can sing along and get more enjoyment out of it

sets I use include endearing young charms , wild colonial boy, irish eyes are smiling.

Rod and the miles to Dundee, westering home, Lomond Waltz (LOch Lomond played as a 3/4 instead of the usual 4/4)

and an 'English' set. Daisy Daily (daily bell) Oh dear What can the matter be, She's a lassie from Lancashire.

another useful set is my bonnie lies over the ocean, molly Malone, coming through the rye

a key change for the middle tune can help eg GDG or DAD. Don't worry about the written key as all these tunes get played in manydifferent keys anyway so just transpose on the hoof.

A very good source of waltz tunes are the Jimmy Shand book of waltzes volumes 1, 2, 3 and 4!. They come up from time to time on ebay and are worth acquiring.

george

forgot to mention there is also ( currently available) a top quality CD ''waltzing through the years with Jimmy Shand'' available online from '''muchty music'' (the Shand family website) or from some other sellers. Its just the job for playing along with. It includes 'the oslo waltz', the set little sir echo/aafter the ball is over/I'll be with you in apple blossom time' and the lovely tune by Willie Hannah 'snow in summer' . 12 tracks as played for dancing.

george

George, as always you have gone above and beyond the call of duty! Very helpful information - thanks.

George and Panya: Many thanks for your interest.
I'm closely involved in playing. Waltzes of every style and flavour are used. I tend to 'theme' sets e.g.. Scottish' and 'Irish' 'Music Hall' etc.
Themed headings I use include Light Classical (e.g.. Destiny Waltz) Viennese (e.g.. Endless Strauss tunes) Continental (French Musette etc.) Music Hall (e.g. The Old Bull and Bush)
Tunes made famous in Film (e.g.. Whatever will be, will be) American Tunes (e.g.. Tennessee Waltz) Canadian Waltzes (e.g. I'll see you in my dreams) and of course endless English, Scottish and Irish tunes.

I am lost and very confused. I am trying to learn some Irish tunes. I have the music for the tunes and have learned it pretty well. However, whenever I pull up a recording, you tube, or whatever there is SO much ornamentation that what I am playing is almost non identifyable as being the same tune.

Any suggestions here? Is there somewhere to get the sheet music that would contain the ornamentation?

Thanks in advance, always.

___
XRumer 12.0.17 + SocPlugin: Modern application for promotion in FB, etc.

Most of the time, what you call ornamentation I think other musicians call improvisation. It is aspects of the music that are not often written down for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back