• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Jaime's dilema: how do I compose a song?

Jaime_Dergut

Reaction score
Hello beloved accordion community that is so supportive and well mannered.

Today, I want to ask you something interesting.

How do I compose a song for the accordion dedicated to a young woman?

Today, I met a young lady on the Farmers Market and I figured out a plan to get to know her: by writing a song in her name.

Of course, back then I was bluffing since I have no idea of how to compose anything beyond troubles for myself.

So, I thought "well, don't I have an accordion community online, that love me and respect my views? ". Maybe you guys can give me an idea of where to start.

Something short but cute that I can use her name on it.

Well, that will be everything.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Jaime, the bold.

I can see ways that could go horribly wrong...
My instinct is to keep it light.

My best compositions for specific people were short, humorous, sometimes based on the melody of some well known tune with a play on the words. A recent one (singing, not playing) was stolen (er, borrowed) from a Simon and Garfunkel song.: "and here's to you, Dr Robinson, patients know to always ask for you, hoo hoo hoo, ... " etc. Got a laugh.

I once wrote a song mentioning something about every person that I worked with in a facility that was closing down. (We made elements for nuclear test reactors.) Guitar and singing, a big hit. I've done several like that, usually for smaller groups of friends.
Another time wrote a humorous poem for a long-time friend retiring from our group - it was well received. The only problem with that poem is people got the idea I could create such things on a whim and thought I was being difficult when I said, no, I first have to be inspired.

As for composing specifically for the accordion, I think the instrument chosen is the least important part of the creative process. First idea, then words, then tune, then instrument. I think something light-hearted works best with few words.

Pick a key, let’s say C.
Start on C note and noodle around with your words in C scale notes till you get to G, B or D, which you play over G chord. Noodle back to E over C chord, playing words and syllables that match her name.

Repeat, but end on C note over C chord.

Do the same thing but use F chord and associated chord tones instead of G, using same or different words.

About as simple as I can get. Try it, you’ll like it!

I agree with JKJ, keeping it short and humorous.

But if you want to go serious...

Although I am no composer (especially of lyrics), I think some classics like You Go to My Head, or Misty, might help.
Something or I've Just Seen a Face by the Beatles can also be an inspiration.

Good luck!!

Something short but cute that I can use her name on it.
That sounds like you are looking for a generic song where you can fill in an arbitrary name in, like "Happy Birthday to You". That would be kind of a turn-off for me. You should at least try to come up with some personalized lyrics that cannot just be reused for anybody else due to the contents or at least by having her name fit rhyme and meter of the song.

That sounds like you are looking for a generic song where you can fill in an arbitrary name in, like "Happy Birthday to You". That would be kind of a turn-off for me. You should at least try to come up with some personalized lyrics that cannot just be reused for anybody else due to the contents or at least by having her name fit rhyme and meter of the song.
Yes, I would like something personalized that I could make myself.

I will think of something to fit her name on, and keep it simple, of course!

Today, I met a young lady on the Farmers Market and I figured out a plan to get to know her: by writing a song in her name.

The Grand Romantic Gesture (tm) works in rom-coms but can be problematic in the real world. Writing a song in her name might be the perfect way to get to know her, or she could wind up thinking you're a creepy stalker.

When in doubt, slow your roll and just go talk to her fer-cryin-out-loud. Sometimes the tried-and-true ways are the best ways.

Last edited:
Ok here is a way to get started. Go to Chat GPT on the web and click "Try" and then say something like
"Write me a short song for a girl named _________ and include the chords used."
It will write you a song - it will be really sappy and the wording will be off but you can take what it
does and modify it to fit what you want. You can tell it to write a ballad, pop song, country song, etc.
Probably won't be very good but at least it will give you some ideas.

I tried it and here is what it produced - really corny:

write me a short country song for a girl named Carole and include the chords used

ChatGPT
(Verse 1)[G] Carole, you're the sunlight in my [C]day,[G] Your smile chases my blues a[D]way.[G] When you're near, everything feels [C]right,[G] Like a melody that plays through the [D]night.
(Chorus)[C] Oh Carole, you're my [G]sweet serenade,[C] With you, I feel like I've [G]found my way.[Em] Your love's like a [D]song that I can't get [G]over,[C] Forever and always, my [D]heart's in your [G]hands.
(Verse 2)[G] Every moment with you feels so [C]fine,[G] Like a country road in the [D]summertime.[G] You're the rhythm in my [C]heart's refrain,[G] And I never want this feeling to [D]change.
(Chorus)[C] Oh Carole, you're my [G]sweet serenade,[C] With you, I feel like I've [G]found my way.[Em] Your love's like a [D]song that I can't get [G]over,[C] Forever and always, my [D]heart's in your [G]hands.
(Bridge)[Em] When I hold you [D]close, I feel [G]alive,[Em] Like the stars [D]shining in the [C]night sky.
(Outro)[G] Carole, you're the sunlight in my [C]day,[G] And I'll love you in every [D]way.
Chords Used:
  • G, C, D, Em

Last edited:
Back