• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Ketron EVM

KeysFla

Reaction score
Recently, I discovered the Ketron EVM selling at Thomann Music Store. I have seen this project developing a couple years ago. Seems to make more sense for compactness. Although, having a screen on stage to set the controls in real time may be tedious. But those that have an iPad, may make this happen efficiently. Whether you have the Event X or EVM, Songbook Plus, MIDI Flow apps and Bluetooth pedals may make this happen. Just use the Ketron control screen to set up your sets and Songbook lists beforehand.
As for me, this would be a step back, a new learning curve as I am accustomed to what I already have.

Nice find!

Ketron has been on fire a bit lately. The Event X, Event EVM, the Ketron Lounge all seem to be loosely based around each other. The Event X still looks to be the top of that heap (well, most expensive anyway, at $6300cd +taxes locally to me)

Nice find!

Ketron has been on fire a bit lately. The Event X, Event EVM, the Ketron Lounge all seem to be loosely based around each other. The Event X still looks to be the top of that heap (well, most expensive anyway, at $6300cd +taxes locally to me)
But the market seems to be limited to mostly accordion players, maybe guitarists? The full size Ketron has always been a favorite for many Keyboard performers, maybe more demand? Like to see the larger box music stores supply them like SweetWater, Sam Ash, Guitar Center. But Roland, Korg, Yamaha seems to be in higher demand.
If you look back, the SD90 was mentioned before it was released on this forum. You were probably one of the few whom responded? It took, I think, about 2 years for this product to be realized…

Last edited:
The smaller Ketron was always mostly for accordionists, Yamaha, Korg and other similar brands are going to be more popular as they were primarily for pianists, organists, guitarists and there are a TON more of those than digital accordionists.

The SD90 is an odd one out... already outdated (sorta) and the Lounge, EVM and EventX are out a couple years already too. Ketron is not very loud in North American about advertising. :)

The smaller Ketron was always mostly for accordionists, Yamaha, Korg and other similar brands are going to be more popular as they were primarily for pianists, organists, guitarists and there are a TON more of those than digital accordionists.

The SD90 is an odd one out... already outdated (sorta) and the Lounge, EVM and EventX are out a couple years already too. Ketron is not very loud in North American about advertising. :)
I would like to hear more and see more before purchasing any type of equipment. At one time I was looking for an arranger module to replace my Roland bk-7m for my accordion shows. But not anymore…since I have a house gig…

Last edited:
Yeah, you've pretty much honed your system down to perfection for what you are doing. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it, right? :)

@
Yeah, you've pretty much honed your system down to perfection for what you are doing. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it, right? :)
As we speak, last night my keyboard suddenly shut off during a song. 🤔. Maybe that old Korg is getting tired? Or is it telling me something? 😳

interesting.. does it shut off instantly if you unplug it or
flip the power strip to off ?

if so, you may recall our discussion of capacitors on that mic /repair
thread recently.. and one way to give an extra "moment" or three to
your keyboard would be to re-engineer the internal Power supply..
wire up the biggest capacitors you can fit inside the skin..
they would act as a reservoir and discharge when the power drops
out, thereby giving the momentary power backup to keep the
keyboard's brain "on" until the power pops back up

and that is like during storms, or a van hits a pole in your area..
the 110 power glitches for a moment

devices built with excess capacitance have this buffer.. which
is why after a momentary outage, some of our clocks need re-setting
but that damn old Microwave display just chugs on

for us on stage, this is good to have because some of our devices
need to restart like a computer.. takes a few moments.. plus often we
then need to re-enter our set info and such.. taking valuable moments
away from performance continuity

Glad you responded to this. Now as I think of it, both my Korg pa1000 and now the pa3x shut off, but not very often. Only happens at the restaurant gig. I leave them plugged it all the time. When power is off, they are in standbys. Going to check the incoming voltage. The restaurant had a problem last Wednesday where they had to replace the panel powering the coolers. Said it was not giving the correct voltage? I am on another panel, but this place is very old. Who knows when the last time they checked the terminals for tightness? Some even use a temperature probe to see if any breakers are over heating. First time ever my older Korg did this, I will check this out. I do have good surge protectors power strips. Change them yearly.
I just replaced the power supply on my Korg pa1000. Maybe use it on the gig tonight?

I know that on the Yamaha Genos there is an option to use the energy saver option of ticking a box so after 30 minutes of no keyboard activity it will shut itself down. It is an energy saving requirement in some countries

I know that on the Yamaha Genos there is an option to use the energy saver option of ticking a box so after 30 minutes of no keyboard activity it will shut itself down. It is an energy saving requirement in some countries
Have that too on Korg. I might have went into this shutdown as I never interact with the arranger. As the iPad does all the work wireless. I will look to be sure the auto off is not check marked…thanks for the reminder..

Update: An interesting moment. 2 days later after my keyboard shut-down, the restaurant electrical panel had to be replaced in the restaurant. It was very old and the refrigerations units went down due to low voltage.

Recently, I discovered the Ketron EVM selling at Thomann Music Store. I have seen this project developing a couple years ago. Seems to make more sense for compactness. Although, having a screen on stage to set the controls in real time may be tedious. But those that have an iPad, may make this happen efficiently. Whether you have the Event X or EVM, Songbook Plus, MIDI Flow apps and Bluetooth pedals may make this happen. Just use the Ketron control screen to set up your sets and Songbook lists beforehand.
As for me, this would be a step back, a new learning curve as I am accustomed to what I already have.
It goes without saying it is a great piece of kit ...............to my ears it has too much latino stuff ..perfect for it's target market . but not for my Audiences .or my style of music ......only my opinion . I have saved and stored hundreds of style setups over many years that have been steadly tweaked and adjusted and good to go for all my little gigs ...............those styles will not let me down !! . ..... At the ripe old age of 76 I want to spend my time playing ..and not tweaking the styles for a new Module ...............................YES I'm Feeling old and Running out of Time .
No offence to any Ketron Products , users or People ......................
PS I would not have said this 25 years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: An interesting moment. 2 days later after my keyboard shut-down, the restaurant electrical panel had to be replaced in the restaurant. It was very old and the refrigerations units went down due to low voltage.
brownout conditions were once more common, but old type electric/electronics
would tend to still work, just erratically, whereas solid state/digital type circuits
respond more go - no go

my tube cordovox would still play off a 100' 18 guage extension cord along
with my guitar players Magnatone monster amp, but we had zip for volume
(while our drummer laughed at us and kept pounding)

and devices with motors that relied upon the AC voltage for timing
would be affected when you were somewhere and the local step-down
Xformer on the pole outside that block was not up to spec

one the one hand, i miss when equipment was robust enough and forgiving
enough to get you through the gig even if half the circuits were dead
(like Altec Power amps) but smaller lighter cheaper power-efficient
opened up a lot of possibilities for us too

I have saved and stored hundreds of style setups over many years that have been steadly tweaked and adjusted and good to go for all my little gigs ...............those styles will not let me down !! . ..... At the ripe old age of 76 I want to spend my time playing
i feel it too.. though i still may run a new MIDI from scratch if i get a bug to do
a particular song.. but like last year ok, i fell into that FR4 and for old times sake
did the programming thing, but really havn't messed with it since because it is
just increasingly boring "getting ready to play" as opposed to "playing"

i feel it too.. though i still may run a new MIDI from scratch if i get a bug to do
a particular song.. but like last year ok, i fell into that FR4 and for old times sake
did the programming thing, but really havn't messed with it since because it is
just increasingly boring "getting ready to play" as opposed to "playing"
Glad I'm not alone having that strange feeling ....................it must be an Age thing ha h a ha

Been with Korg pa series for over twenty years, I have no plans on changing. I know many are looking at modules over a keyboard, but do keyboard shows too. “Korg and More” makes some of the best styles I have heard. Musikant add-on is installed on the pa1000. The styles on the new Musikant model Korg PA5x are amazing too. So fitting for accordion shows. The WavesArt produce amazing sounds on the Korg.

Been with Korg pa series for over twenty years, I have no plans on changing. I know many are looking at modules over a keyboard, but do keyboard shows too. “Korg and More” makes some of the best styles I have heard. Musikant add-on is installed on the pa1000. The styles on the new Musikant model Korg PA5x are amazing too. So fitting for accordion shows. The WavesArt produce amazing sounds on the Korg.
The sound and styles /accomps that you use on your gigs are first class . You have spent a lot of time getting them to just as you want them .
It would take a lot of work to get any other arranger /module to that level of perfection ..
As jerry said "if it aint broke why try and fix it "....................Wise words .
In my experience setting stuff up to play for home use only and performing with your equipment in front of lots of people at large and very busy venues where people want to be entertained ...are worlds apart . What you use to perform with needs to be good and reliable and have a good professional sound ...................You Certainly TICK ALL THE BOXES Well Done .

Back