• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

LMM to MMM conversion

the boxman

Reaction score
Has anyone on here converted a 3 voice accordion from MML to MMM. I have read about conversions from LMMH to LMMM but haven't seen anything on the conversion I'd like to.do.
Whats your thoughts, is it doable? Do you use the same read blocks or are the holes too big fir replacement reeds

Certainly doable. I once changed a ML toMM using matchsticks glued in to fill the gap.
There are probably better ways of doing it but this was a cheap accordion.

Yes, I have done this. I sourced reeds of the same make as the originals. You will need to put some blocks of wood in most of the gaps in the reedblock in order to bring the chambers to the correct height for the new reeds. I used reed wax to put those blocks in, but if you are certain you will never want to reverse the operation, you could use glue. It is best if the entire inside of the chamber fits the reed height, not just the 'lip' of the chamber.

Why would the reeds need to be the same as the originals? It will be the single middle reed and it will be tuned to Zero. It is a 3 voice Hohner Verdi probably about the last of the Verdi models, so don’t think the reeds will be anything special. I have a full set of reeds from an old Sonla accordion if these are better I could maybe change them all.

I've got a couple LMs that were converted to LMM musette (not by me).

Why would the reeds need to be the same as the originals? It will be the single middle reed and it will be tuned to Zero. It is a 3 voice Hohner Verdi probably about the last of the Verdi models, so don’t think the reeds will be anything special. I have a full set of reeds from an old Sonla accordion if these are better I could maybe change them all.
They do not need to be the same. It's up to you. Maybe you'll find a combination of various reeds from different sources that pleases you more than a unified set. : )

but if you think about it awhile longer.. think about the things that can go wrong..
the variables.. the age of the parts

using that same parts from different accordions of the same brand
and model gives you a lot of stuff that fits, spare parts, etc.

what if the reedplates from the sonola are just a bit wider or thicker ?
what if you don't notice the difference until you are a third of the way
waxed down the reedlock ?

boxman: You need 12 'new' reeds at the high end of the range. The 'new' reeds should match, as close as possible, the ones they'll be playing with. By 'match' I mean have roughly/as near as possible the same pattern of harmonics. The Verdi's I think lasted into the 1980s and there's an excellent chance spare reeds exist which will be a good match. Have you noticed which range of reeds is fitted in your accordion? Hohner reeds tend to be marked with an identification letter.

Box player, I’ve not opened it up yet to check what reeds are in it. It is one of the last Verdi models made, I’m assuming it will just have machine type reeds. It will be a couple of months before I have the time to do anything, I’m just trying to find out what the pros and cons are. If the sonola reeds fitted I’d maybe be inclined to replace the full set of middle reeds with them. That may give an interesting sound.

Ventura , Good call about the sonola reeds plates being a different size, never thought about that. I think if they were bigger that would be more of an issue than if they were slightly smaller.
Thank you for the replies

Has anyone on here converted a 3 voice accordion from MML to MMM. I have read about conversions from LMMH to LMMM but haven't seen anything on the conversion I'd like to.do.
Whats your thoughts, is it doable? Do you use the same read blocks or are the holes too big fir replacement reeds
I recently had a lmmh converted to lmmm professionally. You should be able to convert to what you want. For large hole reed blocks, cut to size balsa wood or broken wooden matches fill the hole nicely for smaller size reeds and are sealed in place when you hot wax. Alot of work, especially for narrower reeds, but can be done. Unfortunately, many L reeds need to go....I'm not sure how many unless I saw the original set up.
PolkaMike

Back