• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Medieval Music Source Musica Calamus

murathan

Was a Bassoonist
Reaction score
Musica Calamus is a band, plays medieval music but also shows the sheet music on YouTube. If you are not familiar with modal music, the chord changes are different than classical I-IV-V (C-F-G on C major). Instead, generally there are 2 chords. If its suitable to major, you can take as standard major, if its minor sounded, you go 1 whole note down as major. Example: Am - G, Dm - C. Medieval music is relatively easy and fun.

The whole set of cantigas are available on imslp.org. We are blessed with the Cantigas de Santa Maria, the Llibre Vermel and somewhat later, Playford's Dancing Master - enough music for our band to never run out of new tunes in our lifetimes.

I recall you've just bought a descant recorder? My end of year project at uni this year included Cantiga #100 and also some bars from the Llibre Vermell - including recorder solo from me.

Last edited:
The whole set of cantigas are available on imslp.org. We are blessed with the Cantigas de Santa Maria, the Llibre Vermel and somewhat later, Playford's Dancing Master - enough music for our band to never run out of new tunes in our lifetimes.

I recall you've just bought a descant recorder? My end of year project at uni this year included Cantiga #100 and also some bars from the Llibre Vermell - including recorder solo from me.
Not all cantigas are great I think. My aim was playing these with the recorder. Also I look some sheet music before working on it with melodica or it may be replaced with recorder. I m not sure now but I didnt spend much money anyways. Cantiga 100 is also nice.

Back