• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Morris Music - Sheet Music or Tutor Document

• Thread starter Thread starter StumpyJoe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StumpyJoe

I am hoping somebody can point me in the right direction:

I am looking for some Morris Dance music for accordion in sheet music form or even better a piano accordion tutor document covering Morris Dance. At this stage I am not playing by ear so actual music downloads/cds, etc are not what I want.

I am new to the accordion, having had one bought for me for my birthday and am struggling a bit co-ordinating things - esp my left hand - I really need some music and/or techniques that I can practise over and over - I'm much more likely to succeed if I'm practising something that I really like.

Thanks Dunlustin - looks like a good start - I'm probably going to have to accompany the Morris music with some kind of a tutor for some basics - there are plenty on the same site - any recommendations appreciated.

what type of morris side are you playing for eg Cotswold, north west, border, rapper requires a different approach . Cotswold in particular has many dance specific tunes. North west uses anything from Scottish pipe marches, English country dance tunes, brass band stuff, music hall stuff etc. Rapper often used Irish or Scottish jigs played on the fast side . BOrder again used fairly well known tunes that are not dance specific but which require the rhythm to be adapted to suite the dance style.

Above all the music must be rhythmic and provide the dancers with lift and whilst the dots can be used to get the bare bones of a tune into the head it is not practical to use them in the real world of morris and indeed they can detract from the musical spontaneity and ability to follow dancers and adjust tempo and rhythm on the ho

The bass and treble need to be played staccato with the emphasis on the off beat which is what gives the dancers lift. It also helps enormously to keep time with the foot and to synchronise you foot with that of the leed dancer. Studiously following dots does not permit this!

As to tunes most morris sides use relatively few tunes so try to pick up these one at a time by ear, its a skill that can be learned quite easily. Just concentrate on playing the bare bones ( maybe without bass until you get the hang of the melody) Avoid any arty farty ornamentation as this can easily detract from the steady rhythmic playing that is required for dancing.

As to specifically morris music tune books it depends on the type of morris as many of the tunes that are used can be had for free on t'internet is dots you must use which will then involve the sometimes difficult process of weening yourself off the dots!

george

george

George ,
Many thanks for responding. I take on board what you are saying about the tempo, beat, staccatto effect etc. - and the dots. At the moment I'm after something that will get me through the mechanics of the instrument so that I can pick it up and make a tune (as I do after a fashion with mandolin, guitar, harmonica, fiddle) and do not end up giving up on the instrument.
Hopefully I shall then improve from listening and playing more by ear.

As for the type of Morris, I couldn't say at the moment - I have listened to Morris music on and off since 1969 and have watched Morris Dancing in public in various places up and down the country - such as Cheshire, Sussex, Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire.
I have to say that more often than not I recognise at least half of the tunes though I don't really take in too much of the actual dance. So I don't know what I've been listening to - but I'd like to play some of it.

Thanks again.

Stumpyjoe
I cant recommend because I havent seen it, but this may help
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buttons-Key...1943908&sr=8-5&keywords=piano+accordion+tutor

There are some aspects of Scottish music that do not translate to English Morris but Im guessing youll find the basic Jigs, Reels, (Hornpipes?) to give you a start on the mechanics of the PA and a learning progression.
If youve enjoyed Morris music since 1969 then you were most likely listening to Cotswold Morris - at least in Southern England.
For PA left hand, this is sometimes recommended
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mighty-...id=1391944511&sr=8-68&keywords=accordion+book
and would provide fuel for a while to come.
Be patient, there are people (here) who play for Morris and Im sure theyll pop up soon.

The "relatively few tunes", as George says, can be a problem. Playing in a session you are likely to get through more tunes in half an hour than a morris side uses in a year. I don't know how people stay interested in playing such a small repertoire.

I have played accordion for the Morris - specifically Cotswold - and as I've played from dots I expect to go to hell in a handcart! Anyway, as a non-folk musician, I offer some tips, based on my limited experience:
1) Learn to dance a couple of dances yourself.
2) Try to find a friendly Morris side with an accordion player and ask if you can play along. Stand behind the musician/s, watch, learn, listen hard and when you feel ready, play along - very quietly.
3) I found Mally's Cotwold Morris Books very helpful, especially Vol. 1 which has some handy hints for musicians - particularly on playing the bass on squeezeboxes. As far as I know Mally (Dave Mallinson) has produced two vols. for Cotswold and one for North West.
4) There is a Cotswold side called Lagabag Morris which has some interesting info. re dances and traditions, including dots for some dances, on their website. There may be others...

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your responses - from what's been said, I'm going with Mally's Cotswold Vol1 for the time being - I'll get that and see what other supportive stuff I may or may not need. Hopefully I shall be back on lne in a month or two with the basics behind me.

JB said:
3) I found Mallys Cotwold Morris Books very helpful, especially Vol. 1 which has some handy hints for musicians - particularly on playing the bass on squeezeboxes. As far as I know Mally (Dave Mallinson) has produced two vols. for Cotswold and one for North West. ...

Youve got to hand it to Dave Mallinson, if youre into Folk music these are the best books money can buy. :tup:

And the settings are good as well.

Plus if you are into Irish music check out the range of session books.

Hi Stumpy Joe! While I agree that the Mally books are essential for any Morris musician, I'd also like to point out that the chords in there aren't! Feel free to simplify the chord suggestions that accompany the tunes, leave out anything that isn't essential to make life easy. I particularly tend to cut out some of the minor chords for Cotswold dances; they sound pretty but I feel that the nature of the dance is bright and assertive, i.e. major chord-like.

I'd also second the suggestion that you should find yourself a Morris musician for a bit of mentoring, if possible. Where are you based?

Mally's vol I is now on order and I wait to see what it brings.
These days I'm based in North Cheshire and to be honest haven't looked into taking up with any local Morris - the nearest I've come across - by accident as it were has been in Chester.
Unfortunately my family doesn't really share my interest in Morris so I have to work on that for a bit - en bloc they pretty much forbade me ever to either go potholing or go morris dancing when I retired - where that came from I have no idea - but I shall ultimately triumph.

StumpyJoe said:
Unfortunately my family doesnt really share my interest in Morris so I have to work on that for a bit - en bloc they pretty much forbade me ever to either go potholing or go morris dancing when I retired - where that came from I have no idea - but I shall ultimately triumph.

Ive never heard of anyone potholing with an accordion :shock: .......so it would have to be Morris.......naturally. :lol:

My sister-in-law laughed continuously for five minutes when we told her that wed joined a Morris side, three years ago now. My stepson is still terribly embarrassed by it. To me, that is part of the joy of Morris. :shock:

You could have a look for sides on the list below, and then go along to any stands near you when the season starts (1 May) - its a good idea to hear more than one interpretation of Constant Billy etc!

http://ukmorrisdancers.co.uk/cheshire-morris-dance-sides/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back