• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

New here - From Portugal

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
My name is Joaquim and I have studied the accordion during 10 years - I started when I was 6 years old. I was not bad back then... but since then I may have played the accordion 5 times max... I'm now 50. :) Last week, during some cleanings, I opened the old accordion box and gave it a try... memories came back and now I'm kind of enthusiastic about it. The old accordion though needs a lot of maintenance - to the point where it's probably better to invest on a "new" one. I went to my second hand market website (ebay alike) and I found a Roland FR 2B which would give me the benefit to play without annoying the family. What's your opinion? I know it's an old model, but what are the cons of this model?
Thank you very much for accepting me in this group, and I hope to learn a lot with you.

Regards,

Joaquim

Welcome.
I think buying a Roland is (can be) a good compromise.
However, the 'X' series are much more useful than the earlier ones.
There will be little/no support for a FR2B - must be around 15 years old - electronics move on.
The FR3X has also been replaced (by the 4X) so can be found at a good price.
If you are happy with 72 bass and 3 octaves then a FR1X button will also be a possibility.

Thanks for your response Richard. The price difference between the FR2B and a used F3XB is quite steep - 700 EUR for the FR2B and 1500 EUR for a used F3X. What support would be required that you are mentioning? In terms of sounds, will it be equivalent? Could I load the same sound banks to both accordions, or there are some incompatibilities?

Thanks once again.

Joaquim

Re: "The price difference...." I'd say that this is because the FR3x is still desirable because it is part of the 3X, 1X, 8X, 4X group
"What support..." Well, parts fail - for example there are known supply issues with replacement screens for the FR7
" the sounds" My experience begins with the FR1XB, so I don't know, but the X instruments are usually seen to be a move forward and share some aspects
I believe the early FR's are not compatible with the later ones.
Does the FR2 have speakers - not always the case before the X series. If not you will need an amp/speaker

Re: "The price difference...." I'd say that this is because the FR3x is still desirable because it is part of the 3X, 1X, 8X, 4X group
"What support..." Well, parts fail - for example there are known supply issues with replacement screens for the FR7
" the sounds" My experience begins with the FR1XB, so I don't know, but the X instruments are usually seen to be a move forward and share some aspects
I believe the early FR's are not compatible with the later ones.
Does the FR2 have speakers - not always the case before the X series. If not you will need an amp/speaker
No the FR2 has no speakers, in fact that is one of the main differences. But that is not a problem as well as the goal is to use it with headphones for night training. And I do have a guitar amp that I should be able to use. My main doubt is if the sound quality is not good... I watched some youtube videos and it seems ok, but have no experience to be able to compare. Also I know that with the X series you can update the sound library, not sure if the same can be done with the FR2...
Thanks once again for your input Richard. I think I will wait a bit more for a better deal on a X series in the used market.

Cheers,

Joaquim

Back