• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

New to accordion. What are your favorite folk songs?

Welcome to the forum. You can start with Russian favorites, Kalinka, Katyusha, Korobeiniki (Tetris). Also some waltzes (3/4) like Danube Waves... German songs are relatively easy. Christmas songs are a good idea to start with. Jingle bells for example. These are generally the starter pack ;)

Welcome!

Not sure what you mean by “folk” but it may include some of what I like to play like Red River Valley, You Are My Sunshine, Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Jambalaya, Summertime, Over the Rainbow (what I call “Americana”) As well as “international folk” like Asa Branca, Amore Mio non Piangere, Tarantella, Vieni Sul Mar, Ach du Lieber, Beer Barrel. Etc.

What do you have in mind?

what are your favorite folk songs to play on accordion?
Hallo and Welcome!
my answer will be probabely not helpful for you -I am Slovak and for our folk songs we have on-line database (fulltext plus notes- CLICK for viewing the database mentioned). Unfortunately, our Slovakian folk songs are totally useless for people in Mexican regions.
But here in Slovakia we also know and love Mexican songs. For example, just now I was listening to LaGuadalupana (Stephanie Trejo). Those melodies have a beautiful soul.

Last edited:
I love Alouette-been it's very simple, and can be a lot of fun playing with the bass as this song has a bit of call and response to it.

I’m just returning to PA after a 60 year hiatus. So first I’m trying to remember stuff I played then (Clementine, on Top of Old Smokey, etc.) Also want to play the old time stuff I’ve played more recently on banjo (Cluck Old Hen, old Joe Clark, soldiers Joy.) Throw in some new stuff just for fun (Hava Nagila.) Got my work cut out for me!

Reactions: Tom
I was inspired by Katyusha so that will be one.

There should be more folk songs, but I usually pick the pieces that I like. There is a collection of Folk music from several European ethnic groups.

Not really folk songs but if you like country, just about anything from Hank Williams. They almost all seem as if they were designed to be played on the accordion. Simple melodies, easy chord changes, etc. Cheating Heart, Jambalaya, Cold Cold heart, Hey Good Looking, Alabama Waltz, I cant help it if I am still in love with you, I saw the light,etc. Everyone seems to like Cheating Heart and Jambalaya

By "songs," do you mean only pieces with words, to be sung? Or do you mean instrumental folk as well? A wonderful source of instrumental folk pieces (and I believe a few folk"songs" that are "sung") are the Kammen International Dance Folio books. The well-known ones are folio No. 9, which is accordion arrangements, and folio No. 1, which is piano, easily usable on accordion. They're out of print but easy to find at ebay, sometimes used on Amazon. Russian, Romanian, klezmer, polkas, and more---lots of delightful stuff.

1725954992186.png
1725955153340.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
Those are great suggestions! I play by ear, so I will listen.

Ah, well if you're looking for folks songs that might be a bit easier to learn by hear (melody and chords), how about:

• De Colores
  • Old Joe Clark
  • Angeline the Baker
  • This Land is Your Land
  • Bella Ciao (this one is in a minor key)

Ah, well if you're looking for folks songs that might be a bit easier to learn by hear (melody and chords), how about:

• De Colores
  • Old Joe Clark
  • Angeline the Baker
  • This Land is Your Land
  • Bella Ciao (this one is in a minor key)
Although it references a dark time in America’s past, I will play “Angelina Baker” today among several Stephen Foster “folk songs” that I like to play, Camptown Races, Swanee River, Beautiful Dreamer. And let’s not forget Oh, Susannah, Long, Long Ago, Jeanie with the Light Bown Hair, etc. A veritable trove of folk!

Back