• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

New to this forum, questions about an accordion I acquired.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a musician but not an accordionist.
A friend of our family gifted me a very nice looking accordion made by Scandalli.

I have no information regarding the model, but it is in excellent condition, and functions, although I have yet to test it completely key by key, button by button
It sounds pretty much in tune.
It is a lovely black and gold color and is surprisingly heavy.
I have contacted Scandalli but they have yet to respond.

Here is the information I have so far:

Serial number: L801/37 (I found by searching online that these serial numbers are more or less meaningless.

41 treble keys.

120 bass keys.

7 registers (clarinet, bassoon, bandon, master, violin, clarinet, bassoon).

Low, middle, middle (LMM Box).

I have photos which I'll attach.

What I hope to find out is the model name of this instrument, when it was made, and approximately what its value is.

Thank you so much for allowing me to join your forum just to pester you for information!

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_4039.JPG
    IMG_4039.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4040.JPG
    IMG_4040.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 25
I am a musician but not an accordionist.
Hi SE, and welcome!🙂
This accordion is part of a line by Scandalli called (afaik) the "Gold Series", which originates in the 1950s and includes models having three or four voices in a variety of tunings.
I myself have a 4 voiced model LMMM with one of the Ms tuned a fifth above the others ( "quint" tuning).
The value depends a lot on your local market and the internal condition of your instrument. These were solid, well made beginner's to mid-range instruments for the mass market in the day:
kodaks not Leicas, not barn find Rembrandts!🙂

Hi SE, and welcome!🙂
This accordion is part of a line by Scandalli called (afaik) the "Gold Series", which originates in the 1950s and includes models having three or four voices in a variety of tunings.
I myself have a 4 voiced model LMMM with one of the Ms tuned a fifth above the others ( "quint" tuning).
The value depends a lot on your local market and the internal condition of your instrument. These were solid, well made beginner's to mid-range instruments for the mass market in the day:
kodaks not Leicas, not barn find Rembrandts!🙂
Thank you so much for the welcome and also for the information!

It sounds like I have to find a knowledgeable person in my area to have a look at this and give me an appraisal.
It looks very clean, so I am hoping the insides are as good as the outsides.
Kodaks not Leicas; Good analogy!

I sell used ethnic and some electronic gear on Reverb.com, and the going price for something like this looks to be around $500. Does that sound reasonable, or low, if the instrument turns out to be in good to excellent condition?

I appreciate your insights into this because I am at sea when it comes to accordions.
Cheers!

price for something like this looks to be around $500. Does that sound reasonable, or low, if the instrument turns out to be in good to excellent condition?
In good working and cosmetic condition asking price,hereabouts, can be around $250 per reed bank (voice).
You have 3 voices.🙂
But, local market conditions and the law of supply and demand also affect the outcome in specific cases.🙂
Accordions (in any range) can take a long time to sell
( years, actually).
For a quick sale, flexibility on price is advisable.🙂

It sounds like I have to find a knowledgeable person in my area to have a look at this and give me an appraisal.

One way that might help find a someone to physically examine the instrument is to add your location to your profile. A reader in your part of the USA might know just the right person, perhaps one hard to find with an internet search. Or contact accordion teachers in your area who should know a qualified person.

Back