• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Newbie - looking for advice on a Roland

Pehilton

Reaction score
I have a Roland fr3X that I play for about an hour every day. Recently the place on the bottom of the instrument where the power cord plugs in is not making constant contact and sometimes I lose power in the middle of a concert and have to fiddle around with it till power comes on again. (Then I have to reset all my previous registers and sound settings as well)
I took the front panel above the key board off to see if there was something loose, but the receptacle for the "power in" seems to be well and firmly affixed to a circuit board. I guess I could buy a new adapter which would provide me a new (and hopefully better) contact where it plugs in. For the time being, I'm trying to hold the input plug in place with electricians tape, but even that moves and loses contact some time.

Any thoughts anyone?

Is your battery in and fully charged? If it is, a loss of power from the cable should not make a difference and you should be able to continue playing.

Also, use Deoxit D5 contact cleaner on your cable plug and jack in the FR-3X.

the fr3 power input socket has an internal switch which
keeps the battery wiring disconnected when powering
from the plug-in adapter

these have had a significant failure rate, and i recommend
replacing the power socket and checking the circuit board closely
for a hairline crack/flexing.

a failure here can also (not always) affect the battery system,
as the internal switch can be stuck in the bypass position

I had a similar problem with my 1X. It would regularly shut down with the smallest movement of the power cord jack. I play siting down and my thigh would occasionally jostle the power cord. (I play at home, so I only use the power cord, not batteries)
After securing the power cord with the lower bellows strap as shown, the power shut down because the plug moved slightly, has not occurred again.(Thank you Sam Falcetti for the suggested fix.)
Not sure if this adjustment is possible on a 3X.

Attachments

• Roland.jpg
    Roland.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 7
On mine, I accidently stepped on the cord and broke the power connector that is attached to the circuit board. It was a simple matter to unsolder the old one from the circuit board and solder a new one on. Since then I always use the protection wrap around the snap behind the bellows protector that Roland recommends and have since added a break away connecter on the power cord. Simply an Anderson Power Pole installed about a foot down from the accordion that pops apart rather than breaking anything.

Back