• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Old accordion smell

RYLUNDO

Reaction score
The Josef Hlavaček Heligonka I inherited from my great grandma has a couple issues with it including a old/musty smell. At some point I would like to attempt at partially restoring it. It would need a lot of internal work, probably new bellows, new reed leathers so it wouldn't be cheap at all. I was wondering if there would be some things I could do in the meantime. In relation to the smell, if it smells old does that just mean there is no hope? Would leaving the case open to air it out help. Would anyone happen to have any pictures of the interior of an accordion that is molded? I honestly have no idea what to look for. Thank you for your help.

if it smells old does that just mean there is no hope? Would leaving the case open to air it out help.
If it smells old (or anything else, e.g. tobacco smoke) mostly two things are needed: airing in a warm, dry, ventilated place and patience. (Ventilate accordion and case separately)
It could take up to a year or more of airing, but it will happen eventually!🙂
In addition, if you see actual mould (usually as black dust that quickly affects your nose and makes you sneeze) you can use a 2" house painting brush and gently brush the bellows folds out, or gently vacuum it about once a week.🙂
(Do this outdoors.)
The mould too will eventually disappear
(your nose will tell you).

Last edited:
Getting rid of the smell is perhaps the most difficult and time consuming repair job on any old accordion.
Dingo40 is right that the process can bake up to a year or more.
I inherited a nice Crucianelli from my (late) sister and did the following:
1) I took it apart, piece by piece. Every piece (keys, all parts of the bass mechanism, registers,...) was cleaned.
2) I removed all the reed plates from the blocks, threw out the old valves, cleaned the reeds and reed plates (soaked in benzine also), put new valves on, waxed in the reeds.
3) I cleaned the bellows, put new bellows tape on.
4) I cleaned the accordion case as well as I could, inside and out.
5) I put the accordion outside (in a dry place under cover, but protected from most wind and all rain), laid out inside its open case, and let it air for half a year.
6) Towards winter I brought the accordion inside and placed it in its case together with a (cotton) bag of baking sode, for weeks, then also with coffee for weeks, etc.
After all of this the smell is reduced to a level that I consider the accordion playable, but there is definitely still a smell. The smell has penetrated into the wood and other parts to the extent that it will essentially never go away completely.

The Josef Hlavaček Heligonka I inherited from my great grandma has a couple issues with it including an old/musty smell. At some point I would like to attempt at partially restoring it. It would need a lot of internal work, probably new bellows, new reed leathers so it wouldn't be cheap at all. I was wondering if there would be some things I could do in the meantime. In relation to the smell, if it smells old does that just mean there is no hope? Would leaving the case open to air it out help. Would anyone happen to have any pictures of the interior of an accordion that is molded? I honestly have no idea what to look for. Thank you for your help.
I also have a Heligonka that I purchased in Prague in 1999. Haven’t smelt it lately (it’s more ornamental than played), but I do recall it having a musty smell too.

Cannot stress enough how important it is not to spray anything water-based into the accordion or apply any water-based liquids inside, to get rid of the smell.
You don't want to add humidity and especially increase long-term risk of rust.

Last edited:
FYi there are different "strengths" of alcohol readily available
in small quantities (Wal-mart) sort of like the "proof" of whiskey

so you want a bottle of 70 or 90, not the 50 usually found at the dollar store
the smell
very handy to put a spray nozzle on a bottle, and this is how pro-cleaning
people use it for, example, cleaning crystal chandeliers spray, drip, dry, no wipe)
or on touchscreens, spray, wipe..

high proof alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves no residue, but porous surfaces
maybe better to spritz a piece of cloth and wipe briskly with it

there are occasionally some surfaces which may react to alcohol (or water
graying a patch under porous varnish) so test an inconspicuous spot first

so whether cleaning spots or smells, alcohol can be very effective if used
judiciously (and outside if you need to spray a lot of it for a job.. it is flammable)

i use it a lot.. daily since Covid hell i carry around some small spray bottles
in my truck for hands, drive-up bank machines, etc.

next would be, many accordions have internal wood surfaces that are
unfinished, but better built accordions have internal surfaces painted
or sealed with aluminum paint or varnish (or urethane finish) so if you
clean the wood areas well and want to seal them to keep smells in
(and bugs out) go ahead and get a bottle of something like
Formby's wipe-on urethane furniture finish

just remember not to mess with anywhere things have to mate up when
re-assembled, or get them stuck together where they need to come apart
in the future

porous, soft materials hold smells more than others, so if it is easy to
remove some felt stuff and replace it, do so.

Mothballs can also be your friend.. setting a section of the accordion
in a big clean box lined with a big garbage bag then open a pack of
moth-balls or crystals in there and let it stew for a month or so..
you can use an old sock full of mothballs if you need to keep them from
touching any surfaces

as for the old accordion case, burning it is the easiest way to clean it,
then buy a nice new soft-case off Amazon or somewhere, but if it
is a really cool old case, like a Geib, tear out all the cloth, clean heck out of it
paint or varnish the inside and outside then glue a new cloth liner in it

good luck with your eventual restoration, as it is obviously a labor of love
and connection to your Family history.. don't forget to put a packet
together on your Gramps, the original owner, to keep with the instrument
for the Future owners

high proof alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves no residue, but porous surfaces
maybe better to spritz a piece of cloth and wipe briskly with it

there are occasionally some surfaces which may react to alcohol (or water
graying a patch under porous varnish) so test an inconspicuous spot first

so whether cleaning spots or smells, alcohol can be very effective if used
judiciously (and outside if you need to spray a lot of it for a job.. it is flammable)
Great point about testing an inconspicuous spot first.

I'd avoid alcohol on the leather valves especially.
Same with veneered woods inside the accordion, they may not deal well with alcohol either, and especially acetone.

Soap-based liquids are not a good idea either.

(Just being OCD and neurotic on my posts on this thread, cause you never know what people reading in the future might try and some of these products are quite damaging 😅 ).

Also, the accordion is a bit like a big vacuum that sucks in dust, so from time to time it can be a good idea to dust it off on the inside.

Another note: sometimes the bass strap is a particular strong source of foul smell, as sweat and oils from the hand accumulate on it over time. Back straps to a certain degree too, but I've seen more issues with the bass strap as it's in direct contact with skin.
Clean it with something appropriate for its material or get a new strap.

Some observations:🙂
Alcohol can turn some plastics milky.
A vacuum cleaner can lift off any loose fittings (eg, valves, reed plates).
Anything liquid (other than a soft rag dampened with plain water) can cause complications.
Believe it or not, simple airing will (eventually) do the job!
Cases can be rejuvenated using some imagination, glue, bits of strong fabric ( eg gabardine) and a new felt lining (felt suppliers).
Personally I have used mothballs but they can have a very strong strong smell of their own.
See here:
And:

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the advice. For the past couple days, I have had the accordion out of case in my dorm. Luckily, I didn't get a roommate so it's not taking up too much room. It's gotten to the point where I don't smell it when I enter the room but I only notice if I were to try playing it.

I have a little French Maugein cba which I bought as a dustbin case many years ago.
It had been used extensively in the clubs and bars of Marseiiles and smelt strongly of gaulloise cigarettes.
I actually liked the smell but it has gone now.

Back