• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Open action vs metal action Hohner melodeon?

Bander

Reaction score
For the early, pre-114 single row melodeons, im seeing some with wood block action under the buttons, and some with metal action like a 114. Is there any big dis-advantage to the open action?

Hi.

Do you have any photos of what you mean by "open action"?

There's a "metal vs wood" debate and "flat vs stepped".

Traditional wooden action has problems related to the dimensional stability of the wooden keys & comb + excessive wear on the key axle holes.
There's ways to mitigate this, e.g. by making keys from laminated wood, inserting brass or ptfe bushings for the axle to go through, etc, but I'm not aware of any vintage or mass-produced models that have these features.
Metal action tends to stay where it is, but it's rare to see metal action with compression springs under the keys...Hohner did it on their top models in 40s and 50s. I might be crazy, but I think that compression springs feel better than expansion or rotational springs, but we are splitting hairs here. Or maybe compression keys are just easier to set up precisely for the right tension.

Flat vs stepped depends on the playing style. For CBA or, say, Russian "Hromka" harmonica, where thumb is used quite a lot, stepped is key. For a 2-row bisonoric melodeon it makes very little difference, as you don't tend to use the thumb that much. No idea how it applies to single-rows.

Hi.

Do you have any photos of what you mean by "open action"?

There's a "metal vs wood" debate and "flat vs stepped".

Traditional wooden action has problems related to the dimensional stability of the wooden keys & comb + excessive wear on the key axle holes.
There's ways to mitigate this, e.g. by making keys from laminated wood, inserting brass or ptfe bushings for the axle to go through, etc, but I'm not aware of any vintage or mass-produced models that have these features.
Metal action tends to stay where it is, but it's rare to see metal action with compression springs under the keys...Hohner did it on their top models in 40s and 50s. I might be crazy, but I think that compression springs feel better than expansion or rotational springs, but we are splitting hairs here. Or maybe compression keys are just easier to set up precisely for the right tension.

Flat vs stepped depends on the playing style. For CBA or, say, Russian "Hromka" harmonica, where thumb is used quite a lot, stepped is key. For a 2-row bisonoric melodeon it makes very little difference, as you don't tend to use the thumb that much. No idea how it applies to single-rows.
Thanks, here's two pics of the different hohner actions im seeing:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240919_121356_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240919_121356_Chrome.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240919_121308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240919_121308_Chrome.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 8
One is "flat", i.e. the buttons go into the cover.
The other of hen is "stepped" (even though there's no second row to create a step, so not sure if this term can be applied to a single-row :unsure: )
Both are wooden by the looks of it.

I don't expect one would use a thumb on a single-row, so it's probably a case of pah-tay-toes and po-tah-tas.
You can try asking on melodeon.net - there's quite a few single-row players there.

Hi Bander: pleased to meet you and welcome!🙂
It's always interesting to see how the other half lives and to hear something about their lore but I have to admit only a few here know enough about bandoneons to be of much help to anyone, being mostly into piano or chromatic button accordion, while some more adventurous of us may venture
as far afield as the Bayan and Steirish accordion.😄
As already suggested, melodeon.net is probably your best bet.
See here:🙂

Hi Bander: pleased to meet you and welcome!🙂
It's always interesting to see how the other half lives and to hear something about their lore but I have to admit only a few here know enough about bandoneons to be of much help to anyone, being mostly into piano or chromatic button accordion, while some more adventurous of us may venture
as far afield as the Bayan and Steirish accordion.😄
As already suggested, melodeon.net is probably your best bet.
See here:🙂
I am spending time there too. Both sites have provided information on these, and its probably more common to cajun players, but the cajun forums seem to be dormant these days.

The first picture seems of a Chinese-made Ariette which can be troublesome! The springs under the buttons tend to move sideways...

Back