• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Ragtime Accordion: Palm Leaf Rag

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccordionJustice

Reaction score
Here is a great performance of one of Scott Joplin's lesser known rags. This is one of my favorite videos of a genre that doesn't seem to be particularity popular in the accordion world (and maybe the music world in general), I'd love it if more accordionists would start playing ragtime like this to show the potential for the instrument!

I am surprised that rags on accordion are so uncommon. Our instrument is uniquely well suited to it -- it's a place where our left hand buttons and registers really shine, saving us from those big octave-and-a-half leaps pianists have to make. They don't survive arrangements for string quartet, or most other ensembles, all that well.

I've tried a couple accordion arrangements - and come up with things that sounded good synthesized but were a tad beyond my ability. I need to try again.

And my I add ?? There is a bit missing from the first post here and I'm sure not intended.

The performer in this video is not only well versed in the accordion but has perfected the use of it for entertainment.
It is rare to find today an accordionist that plays well with exceptional talent & feeling.

Last edited:
I think the genre "novelty piano" which often includes a lot of "stride" bass is also eminently suitable for PA with it's stradella bass. I'm thinking of the likes of Herb Nacio Brown, Zez Confrey, etc.

Hi AJ,

Nice choice! Maybe you could be the man to start the great ragtime revival on piano accordion.:D

Here's one more for the collection:

Great video Walker! Im happy to see that she plays it at the correct slower speed and not something crazy just to show off.

As for me being a ragtime revivalist, well, I'll get back to you when I've finished the palmer-hughes series. 😋

I adhered to Scott Joplin’s direction of tempo. I would play it faster next time.
Great playing! Thank you for posting.
Regarding tempo: When I first heard Scott Joplin’s music it was played fast, which was great. But since being intoduced to Scott Joplin’s tempos I've grown to prefer them, especially the already slow ones like Solace. Just my 2 cents.

Great playing! Thank you for posting.
Regarding tempo: When I first heard Scott Joplin’s music it was played fast, which was great. But since being intoduced to Scott Joplin’s tempos I've grown to prefer them, especially the already slow ones like Solace. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for your kind words, Jim. I agree with what you said about the tempo. It's just that I felt after listening to myself playing "Cleopha" on the accordion that it should be played faster than on the piano. Perhaps it is because we are missing that percussive effect. It's just my own opinion.

Lovely music. There are two Scott Joplins that don't get a good airing that are really worth a look - Stoptime Rag and Pleasant moments: Ragtime waltz. Both really fun to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back