• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Reed Plate Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granitz

Reaction score
Greetings folks!

This is my first post on the forum, but have been following it for a while and have been amazed at the wealth of knowledge here. Many thanks to all!

I'm currently cleaning, revalving, rewaxing, and retuning my Panjet 45 LMMM(a Goodwill special :D)and have noticed that several of the reed plates are resting on the hidden reed's base near the rivet. This has left a gap between the plate and the block, which has been filled in by the wax.

My question is: How much power and tone is lost, if any, and will notching out the block so the plate sits flush on the block make noticeable improvements? The accordion has been untouched since it left the factory.

Many thanks, folks!

Attachments

• IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 981
The key here is "noticeable". It is important to have the reed plate flush against the reed block on all sides, but whether that means the edge of the reed plate near the rivet is flush with the "bottom" of the reed block probably does not make a noticeable difference. It is certainly not a good idea to move the reed plate so that the other end of the plate leaves a gap near the top of the reed block. But sometimes the manufacturer just makes the reed block wrong, leaving more space than the size of the reed plate, and even with that then filled in with wax I have not noticed a difference. But maybe you have better ears...

I looks like a the time of manufacture a firm of reed makers was changed. Not to worry, rewax them as original.

Thanks for the input, Jim and Paul. I got the reeds waxed back in after cleaning off vast amounts of nicotine and beer suds...couldn't even see the bluing. I pre-tuned the reeds from 443 to 441 to keep the band members from fussing and am extremely satisfied with the results...clean, clear, rich and powerful tone and response. Hopefully I can post a recording clip from a future gig. Thanks again!

I remember these old Crucianelli days well. Good instruments, but factory tuned to at least 442 (maybe going up over the years too). Cleaning + rewaxing is a huge job but it can be very rewarding, especially after also tuning (and perhaps reducing the very wet tuning of these instrument a bit).

Being able to quickly adjust the tuning for any given situation is a huge advantage of a Roland accordion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back