• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Roland FR-1XB

JustinU

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been playing a Hohner Corona II for about 20 years and recently bought the Roland FR-1XB. Can I configure the Roland to play like the Hohner? Can I make it so that when pushing in the bellows it makes one note and pulling out it makes another note. And can I tune each individual button to the format of the Corona II. I play mostly Norteño and TexMex music.

Sorry, it's No to all the above.
But it would be a great new instrument to learn on - and there's plenty of learning material out ther.

Re: 'You need a Roland FR18'
Maybe a good (first) idea is to find someone who has a FR18 and likes it - they were not a roaring success

Hi everyone,
I have been playing a Hohner Corona II for about 20 years and recently bought the Roland FR-1XB. Can I configure the Roland to play like the Hohner? Can I make it so that when pushing in the bellows it makes one note and pulling out it makes another note. And can I tune each individual button to the format of the Corona II. I play mostly Norteño and TexMex music.
I think I’m just gonna return the Roland and get me a Hohner Corona II Extreme. I just don’t know what key to get. I have a G/C/F and don’t know whether to get an F/Bb/Eb or E/A/D. It’s for Norteño and Tex-Mex covers

F/Bb/Eb - good for playing with Brass if you do go back to the Hohner
As ' It’s for Norteño and Tex-Mex covers' maybe look at what's used locally?

Last edited:
I'm probably a little late here.... but a few thoughts.

If you want another diatonic, then the F/Bb/Eb would be your next key. Traditionally, G for conjunto/tejano and F for norteño. Those things change, of course. I think F is the choice for playing cumbias in do menor (Cm) after Valerio Longoria did it.

I was surprised when I recently learned that David Lee Garza and a few other accordionists in these genres sometimes play button chromatic. Before you swap out your fr-1xb, you might want to check those artists out. Here Aaron Salinas covering Garza on a Roland:

I'm still working out whether to get a used fr-18 or a 1xb for similar interests, too.

Learning to play the chromatic Roland would free you to play in whatever key you wanted. There are videos on youtube in english and spanish on how to play.

Back