• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Roland repairs

heymho

Reaction score
I purchased a Roland FR-8X accordion . Now the battery won't charge and the midi ports don't work. Sent it in to a dealer to get it repaired three months ago. Dealer told me that he can't get Roland to send him the pc boards or a new battery pack that he needs to fix it. Anyone else having this problem

Is this an AUTHORISED Roland dealer? If so, he is not trying hard. I know that there is no more support for the 8X and that these kinds of situation can start to be the norm, BUT there should be parts available somewhere that they can get it.

As for the battery, thats a consumable, so either a new battery, an aftermarket one or a DIY are all solutions that should work.

As Jerry PH advised, when contacting a Roland dealer for service or parts be sure to confirm that the
dealer is not just a Roland dealer but also has a "Roland Authorised Service Dept". Many dealers do not.

Such as here ----

If you need advice on Roland service call (413) 543-1002 you will be directed to Sam Falcetti or Yours Truly.
It sounds likely that you need a jack board replacement that can be ordered & installed.

Last edited:
As a slight ( well full) sidetrack from this thread, If anyone in the UK is in need of Roland repairs, I can wholeheartedly recommend EMS of Southend on Sea, Essex. who are an Authorised Roland dealer, although the phone number on Roland's site is incorrect.
I took my elderly FRX3 to them with an intermittent key not working and they knew instantly the problem.
The repair took 6 weeks purely due to the amount of work they had to get through but was completed 100%.
On collection, Mike told me that he had replaced a set of 4 contacts which were no longer available from Rolands but he happened to have some in stock.
I was also surprised and delighted at the extremely reasonable cost for the repair.
I would also like to add that Mike and Ian are extremely pleasant and approachable guys.
Obviously I have to other connection with this firm other than a very satisfied customer.

As a slight ( well full) sidetrack from this thread, If anyone in the UK is in need of Roland repairs, I can wholeheartedly recommend EMS of Southend on Sea, Essex. who are an Authorised Roland dealer, although the phone number on Roland's site is incorrect.
I took my elderly FRX3 to them with an intermittent key not working and they knew instantly the problem.
The repair took 6 weeks purely due to the amount of work they had to get through but was completed 100%.
On collection, Mike told me that he had replaced a set of 4 contacts which were no longer available from Rolands but he happened to have some in stock.
I was also surprised and delighted at the extremely reasonable cost for the repair.
I would also like to add that Mike and Ian are extremely pleasant and approachable guys.
Obviously I have to other connection with this firm other than a very satisfied customer.
who is EMS of Southend on Sea, Essex, and what the address

Is this an AUTHORISED Roland dealer? If so, he is not trying hard. I know that there is no more support for the 8X and that these kinds of situation can start to be the norm, BUT there should be parts available somewhere that they can get it.

As for the battery, thats a consumable, so either a new battery, an aftermarket one or a DIY are all solutions that should work.
Why is there no more support for the FR-8x?

Why is there no more support for the FR-8x?
Roland discontinued them internally about a year after their last president passed away, it was his baby and without him... no more V-accordion.

Right around that time, there was a leaked Roland promo video on YouTube out of Romania that showed a 9X... that one disappeared about 2 weeks after it was uploaded and the channel closed. Fake or real, it looked really promising.

Now, with some people saying that they can get an 8X out of China, I have no idea what's happening there. I do know that the 8X came out in April 2013 and in a world where if you are a year old, you are out of date, being out for 11 years without an update is a fair sign this is the last of the last.

Last edited:
Hello,
Do you mean this video : ?

It looks very much as a FR8X ...
One might wonder if this is a real prototype when we see what happens at 0.53 ....

Have a nice day !

Hello,
Do you mean this video
It looks very much as a FR8X ...
One might wonder if this is a real prototype when we see what happens at 0.53 ....
I remember this one, it’s not a 9X at all, no. I recall another video, it was removed and showed some pics of what looks like an updated 8X… but not quite an 8X. It was pulled down real fast.

Back