• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Scandalli Brevetto N 391982 - Want to learn but face dilemma.

Reaction score
Greetings from Australia!

I have been gifted a Piano accordion and promised the original owner i would learn how to play it. He also gave me a book titled "Phil Baker Modern PIANO ACCORDION METHOD" Copyright 1935. I would love to play, and the Accordion is in almost mint condition (Excluding minor surface scratches, none on the bellows). Due to its unique look i decided to email Scandalli who could not help me identify the year of the make.

To quote in English "Good morning. Thank you for your email. Regarding your request we are sorry but the current management took over the Scandalli brand just over 30 years ago. All the archives related to the previous production have been destroyed with the old factory so we cannot help you in your search."

As the title reveals it is a Scandalli Brevetto with the number marked 391982 with a marking in the corner " M 598/481 Made in Italy".

I hope that some of you can shed some light on the origin of this accordion. As my current dilemma is I want to practice and learn to play the instrument yet i would not dare damage this man's accordion. It is a part of his legacy and would hate to ruin what could be a unique model.

Any recommendations or revelations would be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,

The Humble Beginner.

Attachments

• photo1695008361.jpeg
    photo1695008361.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 37
  • photo1695199667.jpeg
    photo1695199667.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 33
Humble,

I’m sorry I can’t shed any light on the details of this accordion’s production but it is beautiful and should be fine for you to play. From the picture, it appears to be a mid level Italian built Scandalli accordion from the mid to late 20th century. Which means that it is a well built and sturdy accordion which should sound really good if it has been well maintained and taken care of in its long life.

If you take some simple precautions you should be able to learn to play it with no danger of hurting it. You did not say what condition it is in. If the original owner was playing it at the time you received it, that’s good. The main thing to look out for is whether it functions ok, with all the pieces securely in place. When you gently move it, does anything rattle around in the inside? Sometimes pieces become “unglued.”

Then, it’s important that the straps are in good condition and secure, so that the accordion does not fall off your body. You can adjust them to be comfortable and secure to your body without being too tight.

Then, as long as you are gentle, you should be fine. Try not to open and close the bellows without a key being pressed, you will find an “air release” button near the top where your left thumb is.

You can look around YouTube for lessons on how to get started with your new accordion.

Good luck, and you can ask questions here.

Humble,

I’m sorry I can’t shed any light on the details of this accordion’s production but it is beautiful and should be fine for you to play. From the picture, it appears to be a mid level Italian built Scandalli accordion from the mid to late 20th century. Which means that it is a well built and sturdy accordion which should sound really good if it has been well maintained and taken care of in its long life.

If you take some simple precautions you should be able to learn to play it with no danger of hurting it. You did not say what condition it is in. If the original owner was playing it at the time you received it, that’s good. The main thing to look out for is whether it functions ok, with all the pieces securely in place. When you gently move it, does anything rattle around in the inside? Sometimes pieces become “unglued.”

Then, it’s important that the straps are in good condition and secure, so that the accordion does not fall off your body. You can adjust them to be comfortable and secure to your body without being too tight.

Then, as long as you are gentle, you should be fine. Try not to open and close the bellows without a key being pressed, you will find an “air release” button near the top where your left thumb is.

You can look around YouTube for lessons on how to get started with your new accordion.

Good luck, and you can ask questions here.
Thank you so much, and my apologies i should have been more specific. Due to his age he could not play it as frequently as he liked but it he had been continuing to play it till i had received it. No rattling can be heard and every key, button, screw, hook and strap is secure and in place. The air release button is found and working, I appreciate the tip in regards to (not) using the bellows without keys. There is a lever on the side which opens the four silver lids (not sure what these are, but they still move when pressing down on the levers).

Thank you again and i have just looked at some "play by ear" tutorials on youtube before i proceed to attempt to learn how to read sheet music.

Kind regards,

HB.

I will second what Tom says. The biggest risk to accordions is having them exposed to inappropriate environmental conditions such as too damp, too dry, and too hot. Playing them gets fresh air in them and exercises the mechanisms to keep them from seizing. Excessively aggressive playing could cause problems and playing can make existing problems worse if they already exist.

Tom mentioned straps and I agree, I would just count on getting a decent set of new straps on order. If the ones on it are half as old as the instrument I wouldn’t trust them.

You don’t have to worry about the uniqueness making this a particularly valuable instrument. It is a competent playable instrument but only as valuable as other accordions of similar condition, quality and feature set.

In my collection, I own this one's more modern cousin:

1695242426344.png
Mine is from the early 70's but I would hazard to say that yours is a model from the 50's or 60's. It's a 3/4 reed design and more on the side of the instrument of choice for a starting or lightly experienced adult student.

Thank you so much, and my apologies i should have been more specific. Due to his age he could not play it as frequently as he liked but it he had been continuing to play it till i had received it. No rattling can be heard and every key, button, screw, hook and strap is secure and in place. The air release button is found and working, I appreciate the tip in regards to (not) using the bellows without keys. There is a lever on the side which opens the four silver lids (not sure what these are, but they still move when pressing down on the levers).

Thank you again and i have just looked at some "play by ear" tutorials on youtube before i proceed to attempt to learn how to read sheet music.

Kind regards,

HB.
Good to hear! The lids on top are a kind of mute which effects the overall sound of the accordion. You can decide whether you like them open or closed. Playing by ear or using sheet music is another personal choice. Great accordion players have used both methods.

Good luck!

Here's its larger sibling (4 voice) in action (playing "Domino", among other things).🙂

Here he is again 🙂:

Last edited:
I will second what Tom says. The biggest risk to accordions is having them exposed to inappropriate environmental conditions such as too damp, too dry, and too hot. Playing them gets fresh air in them and exercises the mechanisms to keep them from seizing. Excessively aggressive playing could cause problems and playing can make existing problems worse if they already exist.

Tom mentioned straps and I agree, I would just count on getting a decent set of new straps on order. If the ones on it are half as old as the instrument I wouldn’t trust them.

You don’t have to worry about the uniqueness making this a particularly valuable instrument. It is a competent playable instrument but only as valuable as other accordions of similar condition, quality and feature set.
It is stored in a case when not in use, depending the weather i ensure it isnt too close to an open window. I will start looking into new straps asap. And that is reassuring. Thank you for your input!

In my collection, I own this one's more modern cousin:

1695242426344.png
Mine is from the early 70's but I would hazard to say that yours is a model from the 50's or 60's. It's a 3/4 reed design and more on the side of the instrument of choice for a starting or lightly experienced adult student.
That looks so nice, and can definitely see the similarities. I would definitely class myself as a starting student haha

Here's its larger sibling (4 voice) in action (playing "Domino", among other things).🙂

Here he is again 🙂:

That is honestly so impressive to watch. And how the musician can just casually look at the audience while playing. I have to look down at the keys to see what i'm doing haha. Appreciate the links.

As my current dilemma is I want to practice and learn to play the instrument yet i would not dare damage this man's accordion. It is a part of his legacy and would hate to ruin what could be a unique model.

Do not lift or carry it by its straps. When carrying it, use the bellows straps for closing it (that makes holding a bit more secure) and carry it by both parts of its body.

Don't have sharp items to catch upon where the bellows press against your body: the bellows are just moving cardboard and can be sliced.

Don't come in with the instrument from the cold, open the case and start playing. The reed plates need time to warm up to a temperature where the warm humid air does not condense on them. Start by opening the case. After 10 minutes, take the instrument and pump a few times using the air button (no sounding keys or buttons). Several minutes later you should be good to go.

That's most of the basic care. Harming the instrument by vigorous play is not likely. Drops, cuts, and humidity are the real dangers.

I have been gifted a Piano accordion and promised the original owner i would learn how to play it. He also gave me a book titled "Phil Baker Modern PIANO ACCORDION METHOD" Copyright 1935. I would love to play, and the Accordion is in almost mint condition (Excluding minor surface scratches, none on the bellows). Due to its unique look i decided to email Scandalli who could not help me identify the year of the make.

To quote in English "Good morning. Thank you for your email. Regarding your request we are sorry but the current management took over the Scandalli brand just over 30 years ago. All the archives related to the previous production have been destroyed with the old factory so we cannot help you in your search."

As the title reveals it is a Scandalli Brevetto with the number marked 391982 with a marking in the corner " M 598/481 Made in Italy".

I hope that some of you can shed some light on the origin of this accordion. As my current dilemma is I want to practice and learn to play the instrument yet i would not dare damage this man's accordion. It is a part of his legacy and would hate to ruin what could be a unique model.

With kind regards,

The Humble Beginner.
Polifonico-2.jpeg

Greetings! I also just purchased the larger cousin of your accordion, the 120 bass version.

Mine is also an "M" with a number. Also was curious and stumbled on another topic here on some interesting info i can't remember now on what thread i found this, but i saved the info for further reference, quote:

"They have a per sample production number and then I (finally) got a quick intro to that from a U.S. accordion retailer. I quote the text:
L from approximately 1955-1958, M from 1959-1962, N from 1963-1968.
"

So, if M, it should be '59-'62 model, although first i also thought it was much newer, like 70's or so.

Back