• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Sea Shanties - Where are they?

Caps

Reaction score
I am playing next month for a birthday party and I was requested to play some Sea Shanties, Preferably with english words that they could sing along with. Not a genre that I am very familiar with.
Does anyone know of sheet music somewhere that would have the words along with the notes for about a dozen or so songs. I have "Haul away Joe", "Old Maui" nd "Drunken Sailor" and Spanish Ladies". There are a couple books out there with German songs or just the notes but that wont work. Thanks

Thanks Mike, The Wellerman is a good song - exactly what I was looking for. I found a bit of history regarding it here. https://mashable.com/article/wellerman-sea-shanty-history . Also on this site is an interesting link to "Leave her Johnny, Leave her" sung by no less than 500 people in a collaborative effort.

Our band perform The Wellerman, in fact we opened last Saturday's show with it. It is a curious song though, as it suddenly appeared in the mid 1960s (I think) without any evidence of it being published or recorded before. So whether it's original or a new tune is uncertain. As an aside, it shares a tune with "The Lightning Tree" which we also perform.

Our band perform The Wellerman, in fact we opened last Saturday's show with it. It is a curious song though, as it suddenly appeared in the mid 1960s (I think) without any evidence of it being published or recorded before. So whether it's original or a new tune is uncertain. As an aside, it shares a tune with "The Lightning Tree" which we also perform.
Actually I read that it was from New Zealand during the 1860-1870 time period. Old, old song. Just not published until much later.

Last edited:
Actually I read that it was from New Zealand during the 1860-1870 time period. Old, old song. I saw it in a book dated 1932.

That's good to know. When it was suddenly big on TikTok during lockdown there was a newspaper article casting shade over its origins. Better for our band if it's genuine and not recent.

That's good to know. When it was suddenly big on TikTok during lockdown there was a newspaper article casting shade over its origins. Better for our band if it's genuine and not recent.

I'm not sure it matters much. After all, once you're playing accordion on a sea shanty, historical accuracy has already gone out the window. You're going for a "vibe", and if the song sounds like it fits that vibe, you're all set, IMHO.

Does anybody know of a song containing the words “shifting a she-decker”? An old friend gave me his father’s concertina and he remembers him playing a tune with those words. I’d love to learn it and play it for him to bring fond memories back and show my appreciation. Thanks!

I looked through both volumes of the Shanty Book (about 60 shanties) and found nothing. Nothing found on Google search either. Apparently a fairly obscure shanty. Know any more of the lyrics?

Back