• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Some mind benders 🤔

Yeah, I see the screaming head of my pet peeve sticking up. I cannot ever enjoy the sight of someone that is not even out of the beginner stage trying to teach... ugh!

I was surprised after seeing him fumbling buttons to see "accordion teacher" scrolling up at the end.

On the plus side, the patterns are very much what I play on double bass for bluegrass but walking up between chord changes wasn't something I'd really considered on a stradella-type accordion - so a good take-away from the video is that I can walk up or down if I become familiar with the "contra" row of buttons.

Yeah, I see the screaming head of my pet peeve sticking up. I cannot ever enjoy the sight of someone that is not even out of the beginner stage trying to teach... ugh!
Well, I have to live with that. My own pet peeve are "musicians" in motion pictures who didn't have the time to let themselves be taught what getting to the beginner stage would have entailed. I mean, their instruments must belong to someone, so why didn't they borrow the owner along with the instrument for instructions about how to look plausible?

I know what you mean, but that does not seem on point to this person. Clicking on his name, going to his channel, and clicking on "Videos," yields a number of clips on both PA and CBA.

I don't know any beginners who play like this:

Mr. Plestinsky lives in Nitra, Slovakia. There are numerous clips and event listings on FB and elsewhere showing him performing.

This is just one.

Here is another clip featuring in its latter portion some very pretty improvisation on "Under Paris Skies":

Let's try to inform ourselves before we malign and sneer at people publicly on the internet. We all express ourselves when something isn't to our taste, and fair enough. But some of the comments on this thread have been uncalled-for as well as inaccurate.

Last edited:

I have been studiously avoiding this recently - a guy in our dance group wants to learn melodeon and asked if I'd teach him. I refused, because I'm not remotely qualified, but he doesn't have many options locally. So he's popping along from time to time to just play together. I've made a little concession - I move my bellows in the same way a melodeon would move to make the right note/chord. It changes my playing style in an interesting way.

Agree completely Jerry. But then I guess we increasingly live in the world of presentation over content with YouTube etc...

Agree completely Jerry. But then I guess we increasingly live in the world of presentation over content with YouTube etc...
What I think is even worse (pet peeve) is people who include an accordion in their live show who “are not even out of the beginner stage,” being then, “look at me, I’m cool, I play the accordion.” Ok, maybe this only happens here in WI where the accordion has an actual life. Anyway, stop it people!

Hey I would love to get along without presentation and just hold the scores as the actual content into the camera. Somehow that doesn't seem to captivate a whole lot of people. Presentation is part of entertainment.

walking up between chord changes wasn't something I'd really considered on a stradella-type accordion - so a good take-away from the video is that I can walk up or down if I become familiar with the "contra" row of buttons.

I am, of course, very new to the accordion (and being whipped soundly by Sir Stradella) but the walking you mentioned was exactly what I was working on before my shoulder injury. I do a lot of that on the piano when improvising and hoped it could translate to the accordion without too much pain.

When “playing” around with some simple melodies I stumbled on some counter base transitions that fit so comfortably well I took a closer look at the stradella bass chart and started practicing scales on the bass and counter bass, up and down. I mentioned this to my teacher and he showed me some things he does to walk the bass (plus some alternate scale fingerings). Unfortunately that was my last lesson, to be continued, I hope, after a few more months of healing and PT!

It was interesting to see the guy’s “patterns” in action. I wish the staff was on the screen during the playing. I also wish there was some way to easily see what buttons were being pressed - the fingers sure do hide buttons! I think I’ll watch it a few more times, write out the notes (or screen-grab staff images), and work out the details - it should be a good exercise.

(The stumbles didn’t bother me. For those with the ability and the energy, more instruction like this would be wonderful.)

JKJ

It was interesting to see the guy’s “patterns” in action. I wish the staff was on the screen during the playing. I also wish there was some way to easily see what buttons were being pressed - the fingers sure do hide buttons!
Well I put up a few 3-camera strips recently, and the best perspective to look at button work is somewhat "across" the middle of the accordion rather than straight. You need to find the right angle where the finger action is well visible from the side while the buttons don't yet perspectively shrink into a single chunk where you cannot see which button is getting pressed.
I think I’ll watch it a few more times, write out the notes (or screen-grab staff images), and work out the details - it should be a good exercise.

(The stumbles didn’t bother me. For those with the ability and the energy, more instruction like this would be wonderful.)
Frankly, I find the "top 5 bass patterns" claim somewhat preposterous. Those are bass patterns alright but certainly none of them would be in the top 5 I'd consider grabbing for.

Well I put up a few 3-camera strips recently, and the best perspective to look at button work is somewhat "across" the middle of the accordion rather than straight. You need to find the right angle where the finger action is well visible…

I watched those several times. The extra effort it took to create those was certainly appreciated by me, and probably many others.

Frankly, I find the "top 5 bass patterns" claim somewhat preposterous. Those are bass patterns alright but certainly none of them would be in the top 5 I'd consider grabbing for.

I figured “top 5” meant that guy’s favorites. It’d be nice to see/hear other ideas too.

JKJ

The gent on the OP clip has a lot of Slovakian stuff on his channel and his gig listings seem to have an Eastern European focus--he may use those patterns more than they'd be used in some other styles, I dunno.

There is a Palmer-Hughes book for gaining more facility with basses. I've been meaning to get it myself for much-needed growth, even though I don't see myself getting super-complex with basses. It just seems like a good thing to do. Like pushups. I think the focus is on using the two rows of single-note buttons like a basic free-bass system. I dunno if it includes classic walking-bass patterns used in boogie-woogie or jazz, but fluency with the single-note buttons can only help with that:

The gent on the OP clip has a lot of Slovakian stuff on his channel and his gig listings seem to have an Eastern European focus--he may use those patterns more than they'd be used in some other styles, I dunno.

There is a Palmer-Hughes book for gaining more facility with basses. I've been meaning to get it myself for much-needed growth, even though I don't see myself getting super-complex with basses. It just seems like a good thing to do. Like pushups. I think the focus is on using the two rows of single-note buttons like a basic free-bass system. I dunno if it includes classic walking-bass patterns used in boogie-woogie or jazz, but fluency with the single-note buttons can only help with that:

Adventures in Bass Land is a fun one. Its more like playing songs with just your left hand more than anything but every bit helps the overall picture.

Adventures in Bass Land is a fun one. Its more like playing songs with just your left hand more than anything but every bit helps the overall picture.

Thanks, I just ordered a copy.

I started working through another book, The Mighty Accordion, recommended by Him at Liberty Bellows (this, but I got the paperback, not the kindle version):

Volume 2 looks good too:

JKJ, obsessive book maniac

Hey I would love to get along without presentation and just hold the scores as the actual content into the camera. Somehow that doesn't seem to captivate a whole lot of people. Presentation is part of entertainment.
Let’s be honest here, presentation is EVERYTHING! (Or at least 95%.) Like in violin playing, TONE is everything. Don’t fight it. Don’t worry, be happy!

Back