• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Soprani "Midget Grand"

ColoRodney

Reaction score
Every once in a while someone just up and gives me an accordion. This time, it's a Soprani Inc. "Midget Grand," which seems to be in fine shape--pretty much in tune, and no cracks in the wax.

It has two buttons to alternate between LMM and MM, and a venetian blind style mute in the grill.

It has 90 bass buttons (6 x 15), with C# at the top. Well, technically, its an 89 bass: one diminished-chord button is missing along with its rod, leaving an open hole.

I was surprised when I opened it to find that instead of two or three long reed blocks running the length of the accordion, it has eight shorter reed blocks running in the shorter direction. Clearly this was a thing, but I've never seen it before. The bass end is set up the same way (but with six blocks). I haven't looked at the pallets yet to see how this was achieved.

The piano keys are a bit narrow for my hands, and I prefer to have clarinet and bandon options; so I'm hoping to find a local musician who can put it to good use. But in the right hands, it should be able to make some nice music.

Attachments

• IMG_6815.jpeg
    IMG_6815.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6831.jpeg
    IMG_6831.jpeg
    522 KB · Views: 8
Back