• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Studio mics vs Harmonik internal mics comparison

96Bass

Reaction score
A pair of the KSM32 will be about $1000USD. The Harmonik 5001plus and installation is about the same price.
The KSM mics have a bit more presence and clarity to my ear but I think the Harmonik mics will excel in a live stage situation.
I have heard the less expensive Harmonik 501 live and it sounded very natural and had no issues with feedback with a stage monitor. Probably the best sound I have heard from an internal accordion mic system.

apples and pears..

internals are sometimes the only option
but you immediately hear the tight space / enclosement of the internal system - there is no 'air'

on a quiet stage with a listening audience, my vote is for externals
the best compromise in my experience is the KM184 - an sdc that will pickup all the upper dynamics and still usable live

I much prefer the sound captured with the external mics. But the comparison is a bit hard to make (using my headphones) because of the ultra-wide channel separation from the Harmonik versus the almost mono sound captured by the external mics...
Harmonik must be great mics for use on stage. For recording nothing beats a bit of distance between the accordion and a pair of good mics. I make all my recordings (since a few years) using a pair of AKG c214 mics (not the higher end c414, but pretty good nonetheless) and I like what these mics capture.

I much prefer the sound captured with the external mics. But the comparison is a bit hard to make (using my headphones) because of the ultra-wide channel separation from the Harmonik versus the almost mono sound captured by the external mics...
Harmonik must be great mics for use on stage. For recording nothing beats a bit of distance between the accordion and a pair of good mics. I make all my recordings (since a few years) using a pair of AKG c214 mics (not the higher end c414, but pretty good nonetheless) and I like what these mics capture.
All I can say is that all the recordings that you've posted are top drawer. Your mic choice, placement and recording techniques are certainly yielding fantastic results. Not to mention fine and well tuned instruments. The C414 has the advantage of having many different pick up patterns, that is if you need them. For most, a cardioid pattern does a great job.

All I can say is that all the recordings that you've posted are top drawer. Your mic choice, placement and recording techniques are certainly yielding fantastic results. Not to mention fine and well tuned instruments. The C414 has the advantage of having many different pick up patterns, that is if you need them. For most, a cardioid pattern does a great job.
Human hearing essentially uses small diaphragm omnidirectional capsules with ear-shaped baffles. That is comparatively impervious to proximity effects and partial membrane vibration modes. My experience so far is that for the comparatively delicate 3-reed tremolo of my main instrument, straying too far from this principle (at least when recording from reasonably close distances) causes harsher results than what I imagine to be hearing live.

In the following recording, I use tremolo from about 2:00 onward, which is not exactly an orthodox registration choice for Piazzolla and which ends up satisfactory for me mostly when using small diaphragm condensers with omni capsules (which is what I use here). Even if "well-tuned" is not what I'd call the current state of my instrument.

Microphones with switchable characteristics tend to take more compromises with regard to the working principles (pressure gradient receiver vs pressure receiver) than a "pure" microphone capsule. For example, the C414 has high attenuation for high frequencies from the side. The typical microphone capsules inside of the instrument or directly in front of the grille (microphone bars) tend to be small omnis. They don't suppress external noise with directionality but just by virtue of being really close.

I really enjoy both ways, but a lot depends on what your are doing and what the goals are.

If you are making a multitrack with 1 track at a time layed down on top of each other, it doesn't matter what one uses, however if you are recording a video and want to record left and right hands AND have a stereo image because you want to make one pass and make a full video/recording, internal mics are the way to go for 3 main reasons:
- you are capturing separate left and right signals
- you don't need to play every song 2 times (once for left once for right hands)
- ultimate control. Internals don't capture the "other side" little if any and they also don't capture outside noises so you get most separation and minimal external sound/noise influence.

Live performance, same reasons.

The only time I start looking to the external mics is when the accordion I am playing has no internal micing system and if you are like me, don't really want to pay for 10+ internal mic systems.

Back