• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Swedish song "Små grodorna" or Little frog song for accordion

Jaime_Dergut

Reaction score
Hello dear accordion community,

today I have a small request.

Does anybody has the sheet music for this song? Små grodorna

I think is adorable and I would like to add it to my repertoire since is a sweet folk music.

Thanks a log for your attention.

Jaime, the little frog.

Hello,
You can find here another version :

You have to note that this week-end is the MidSummer feast in Sweden, the main popular feast where almost all swedish dance and sing on this song (see video at the bottom of the provided link)

Addendum: if you have the opportunity to spend 1 day in Sweden, my advice, have it for the Midsummer feast !

Have a nice day !

Last edited:
I have Turkish version not the same but very very similar certainly taken from that. Known as little frog here
Lyrics:
Little frog little frog where is your tail?
I dont have a tail I swim in creek.
frog.png

Hello,

To complete the story, this melody was originally a military song from the time of the first French empire.
Its title was "le chant de l'oignon" ("the song of the onion")

have a nice day !

People have been kind enough to point you to several places to get the sheet music, and kudos to them for it. But if it's not too late, I'd highly recommend ignoring them completely. :)

This is a simple song that, if you sat down and gave it a shot, you should be able to eventually pick out by ear. In fact, if someone had never learned any song by ear before, this one would make a perfect one to start with.

You've stumbled onto a great opportunity to exercise the ol' earbones. I encourage you not to toss it away.

With only ten fingers ( if thumbs are included ) some folk have difficulty managing the whole of the twelve notes in our Western scales.
Eastern and Middle Eastern music would cause conniptions ;)
Although Eastern music have a potential of 3000 scales, its proven only 4-5 is used. Makes about the same properties with Western.

Although Eastern music have a potential of 3000 scales, its proven only 4-5 is used. Makes about the same properties with Western.

Define "Eastern music"

In my travels across half of the Northern part of the globe between Australia and the UK, mostly conducted on foot or via public transport and/or the generosity of local people, my observations have been that most definitions of musical genres are highly artificial.
Even between villages only several kilometers apart the traditional musics changes, sometimes subtly and occasionally quite noticably.
Music, like language, is a 'people' thing, in constant change, moving from place to place and adapting to any new circumstances and/or available instrumentation as it goes along.
May it ever be thus; stagnation is death for art and music.
Likewise, each person likes what he/she/it enjoys and that, too, changes with time and experience in those not suffering from closed minds and stubbornly fixed attitudes and opinions.

Anything uses other than classical scales and tempered system is Eastern music I suppose. I opened a topic later :)
https://www.accordionists.info/threads/western-music-vs-eastern-music.12894/#post-132034

... but, East of where, exactly?
For me Eastern is Polynesia and California.
Beware of instinctive Europe centricity - there is a whole wide world incredibly evolved cultures which, unfortunately, European colonialism sought to destroy in their false assumptions of innate superiority.
The USA has successfully taken over that task, but their people are mostly of colonial origins anyhow.

... but, East of where, exactly?
For me Eastern is Polynesia and California.
Beware of instinctive Europe centricity - there is a whole wide world incredibly evolved cultures which, unfortunately, European colonialism sought to destroy in their false assumptions of innate superiority.
The USA has successfully taken over that task, but their people are mostly of colonial origins anyhow.
Not sure it was as much “false assumptions of innate superiority” as it was (is) “real assumptions of resource exploitation” followed by “augmentation of consumer base.” The innate superiority idea was (is) a rationale, a means to an end. Besides, everyone knows that Australians are superior. 🤣

People have been kind enough to point you to several places to get the sheet music, and kudos to them for it. But if it's not too late, I'd highly recommend ignoring them completely. :)

This is a simple song that, if you sat down and gave it a shot, you should be able to eventually pick out by ear. In fact, if someone had never learned any song by ear before, this one would make a perfect one to start with.

You've stumbled onto a great opportunity to exercise the ol' earbones. I encourage you not to toss it away.
It is really a fitting song for me to try this.

One thing that makes me wonder if I can I guess how to figure the bass accompaniment amd the rhythm. I often got it wrong.

Hello,
You can find here another version :

You have to note that this week-end is the MidSummer feast in Sweden, the main popular feast where almost all swedish dance and sing on this song (see video at the bottom of the provided link)

Addendum: if you have the opportunity to spend 1 day in Sweden, my advice, have it for the Midsummer feast !

Have a nice day !

Thank you so much for the reference.

I will study it. And yes, as soon as I can, I will travel to Sweden for sure!

Not sure it was as much “false assumptions of innate superiority” as it was (is) “real assumptions of resource exploitation” followed by “augmentation of consumer base.” The innate superiority idea was (is) a rationale, a means to an end. Besides, everyone knows that Australians are superior. 🤣

That were until the European invasion in 1788

That were until the European invasion in 1788
I believe it! Back in the day when I was (more) gainfully employed I did some engineering work in the one county here that remains governed by the original people. I was required to travel with a guide into the hinterlands and it was a unique and interesting experience. Perhaps you have had similar.

Hello,
here is another version of Sma Grodorna with Bass indication:
Ha en bra dag !

Back