• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Tape-off reeds to go from MM to M?

jozz

Player
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have an MM without registers. I'm looking to (occasionally) play single M.

Can it be done? What would be the best way? It must be reversible.

The soundboard looks like this, with red felt.

unisella reed blocks.jpg

I've managed this easier by threading a slice of paper between the reeds on the blocks I want to omit...
Bit like sewing...so thread the paper under one reed over the next under the next etc.....works well
I've often used this trick to lose the squeaky high reeds on the bass side of a box with no couplers
Accordion repairer Alan Young (rip) taught me this....simple and reversible
You may find that the altered 'm' reeds are on the bottom or top of each reed block.... obviously you'll need to detect which reeds you wish to block.....you could determine by blowing through reeds with a guitar tuner app on your phone to deduce
Hope that helps

Remove the reed blocks and use masking tape to cover the holes on the underside of the block. You can determine which is the sharper, musette reed using a tuning app and plucking the reed. Mind you, the proper way to tune an accordion like this that has no dry register is to tune the two sets of reeds equally sharp and flat, so the median pitch matches the bass side. I don't know how yours is tuned, but the single reed may not be as in tune as you'd like.

You can easily and reversibly silence a reed bank with a trip of tape.

Use a tape that can be removed without residue- masking tape as used in painting comes immediately to mind. Stick it to the base of the reed block, If you place it over the holes in the napped sheet on the foundation late it may pull some of the sheeting awsy when you remove it- masking tape or no. It'll come right off the block without a problem.

Using a masking tape (quite thin) also means that the block should fit back into place with the tape on without adjustments. Make sure that's wo though- you don't want to force it in.

Please don't use masking tape. The longer it is in there the more problematic it will get trying to pry it off ... Just cut the right size of paper and put it under the reedblock before installing the reedblock back.

Please don't use masking tape. The longer it is in there the more problematic it will get trying to pry it off ... Just cut the right size of paper and put it under the reedblock before installing the reedblock back.
I've removed masking tape after years with no problem, and it's clear from the post that Jazz is only planning to do this for a short time. But, yes, paper will work fine too.

This is true. I like that "Blue" Painter's tape. It works as good as masking tape - and- comes off easier - even after a long time.

Actually, the masking tape I generally use IS the blue painter's tape- I didn't reference it because it's a 3M product and I though it might not be available in the Netherlands. But that it might move about while you're emplacing the blocks a strip of paper would work fine as well.

To the OP- LostHobos' caution is good- the M reeds may well be half on one block and half on the other vice on opposite sides of the same block. One will have all "white notes" while the other will have a mix of "white and black" notes.

Push down on a key that opens the pallet for the holes you can see- if, as is likely, a single key opens both the toneholes you have exposed then the M reeds are split between the two blocks. You'll need to determine which sides of the blocks match in tuning pitch; top to top or top on one bottom on the other.

thanks for the input!
I gently taped a strip of paper to the underside of the block. Easy enough, and lucky the tuner had one row tuned to 0 cents.
In the process I somehow I altered the bellows tape, now the box has a leaky corner 🙁

Remove the reed blocks and use masking tape to cover the holes on the underside of the block. You can determine which is the sharper, musette reed using a tuning app and plucking the reed. Mind you, the proper way to tune an accordion like this that has no dry register is to tune the two sets of reeds equally sharp and flat, so the median pitch matches the bass side. I don't know how yours is tuned, but the single reed may not be as in tune as you'd like.

Thanks for sharing this - there is so much I have yet to learn about accordions!

Back