• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Texas Repairs

aclois

Reaction score
I was Googling contact information for Nick Balarini of Dallas, TX last night and was saddened to see his obituary posted. He seems to have been a great man!

I have a Hohner Tango IIM that needs to be serviced. I live in Abilene, TX and since there is no one here that does such work, I would like to find someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth or Austin areas to take the instrument to for service. Can you recommend anyone in these locations?

aclois

Attachments

• IMG_8404.jpg
    IMG_8404.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 5
Last year, there was a discussion about creating a comprehensive list of accordion shops in North America:

lordzedd posted the following spreadsheet with the results. There are several in Texas:

Here are a few just off the internet, the first is Austin.

guitaraustin.tripod.com/accordions.html. (Accordionworks)

www.melhart.com/t-Accordion_Tuning.aspx

You could try contacting Texas Folklife for referrals to skilled and honest techs.

texasfolklife.org/accordian

You could try messaging Carl Finch, founder and accordionist of the legendary Brave Combo polka dementors based in Denton, TX for referrals to skilled and honest accordion techs.

Gabbanelli I would avoid.

Here are a few just off the internet, the first is Austin.

guitaraustin.tripod.com/accordions.html. (Accordionworks)

www.melhart.com/t-Accordion_Tuning.aspx

You could try contacting Texas Folklife for referrals to skilled and honest techs.

texasfolklife.org/accordian

You could try messaging Carl Finch, founder and accordionist of the legendary Brave Combo polka dementors based in Denton, TX for referrals to skilled and honest accordion techs.

Gabbanelli I would avoid.
Thanks for the leads.

I have an Excelsiola 930 Van Damme model that we purchased around 1983 or so. It needs a complete overhaul. Because it's somewhat rare I would like to have it restored to a very decent condition. I've spoken over the years with Jim D. about it. He's really the only person I would trust with it, but we're on opposite coasts and his recommendation was to find somebody closer if at all possible. I don't need to use the accordion and the repair person could basically keep it for a year and with essentially a blank check. I've researched the California repair shops and honestly none make me very comfortable. Their pictures of restorations and what they work on aren't really what I'm looking for.

I'm in the Los Angeles area so driving it up to the Bay Area isn't out of the question. I'll continue to search.

I have an Excelsiola 930 Van Damme model that we purchased around 1983 or so. It needs a complete overhaul. Because it's somewhat rare I would like to have it restored to a very decent condition. I've spoken over the years with Jim D. about it. He's really the only person I would trust with it, but we're on opposite coasts and his recommendation was to find somebody closer if at all possible. I don't need to use the accordion and the repair person could basically keep it for a year and with essentially a blank check. I've researched the California repair shops and honestly none make me very comfortable. Their pictures of restorations and what they work on aren't really what I'm looking for.

I'm in the Los Angeles area so driving it up to the Bay Area isn't out of the question. I'll continue to search.

I was Googling contact information for Nick Balarini of Dallas, TX last night and was saddened to see his obituary posted. He seems to have been a great man!

I have a Hohner Tango IIM that needs to be serviced. I live in Abilene, TX and since there is no one here that does such work, I would like to find someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth or Austin areas to take the instrument to for service. Can you recommend anyone in these locations?

aclois
I'm very sad to read in your email of the Passing of Nick Ballarini .I met him in Dallas at the Texas Accordion Convention many years ago.
A real character with a great passion for Accordions and music.

Last edited:
You can also reach out to Nick Ballarini Jr. He picked up his dads work many years ago and is doing a fine job! PM me for his phone number if you are interested.
Markus

Back