• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

The end of Finale?

Caps

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you use Finale but I got this email today that indicates that the Finale music notation software is no longer going to be supported:
They want you to buy Dorico Pro as a replacement. I never heard of it.

Dear valued Finale customer,

Today, we have important news to share with you regarding the future of Finale. Effective immediately, we are announcing these changes to the Finale software:

There will be no further development on Finale, or any of its associated tools (PrintMusic, Notepad, Songwriter)
It is no longer possible to purchase or upgrade Finale in the MakeMusic eStore
Finale will continue to work on devices where it is currently installed (barring OS changes)
For over four decades, our engineers and product teams have passionately crafted what would quickly become the gold standard for music notation. However, as technology stacks have changed, and millions of lines of Finale code have added up, delivering incremental value for our customers has become exponentially harder over time. Instead of releasing new versions of Finale that would offer only marginal value to our users, we've made the decision to end its development.

We want to sincerely express our warm and deep gratitude to all of our loyal and passionate users. While Finale development has come to an end, we know your musical journey has not.

To ensure that you continue to have access to high-quality notation software, we have partnered with Steinberg, the creators of Dorico, to offer exclusive discount pricing on Dorico Pro for all Finale and PrintMusic users.

We truly believe Dorico is the best home for Finale users looking for a new music notation tool to continue the amazing work they are doing.

This was just discussed in another topic in the forum.

I'm not surprised about what's happening in music notation software: Musescore provides a "decent" or "good enough" and especially *free* software solution (not without its flaws) and that makes expensive other solutions a hard sell. I started out in the MS-DOS era with Score and later moved on to Capella (which is now decent but crashed very often in the early years). But since Musescore came along I have not used anything else. Musescore 2 was pretty decent, Musescore 3 even better, Musescore 4 I tried a couple of times and still find it not usable yet...

Last edited:
RIP Finale. Long live ABC. Just sayin’

Back