• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

"The Musical Priest" Irish Reel duet (fiddle/box)

Hi Chauncey. Very nice. I presume you are playing your small Serafini CBA, so I am curious about the frequent bellows reversals that I see, as on a diatonic, but which would be unnecessary on a CBA. Are you trying to simulate the sound of a diatonic? I play a similar small CBA and have tried to simulate the diatonic sound this way, but have concluded that it is too difficult to make it sound realistic.

Yes, it is the Serafini. You can do it to some extent with just articulations but I find the frequent bellows reversals give it some more lift/bounce and provide some more ways to add variety in an exposed setting like this (as opposed to a larger session). I also feel like I have more control over the accents and dynamics when the bellows stay relatively shallow. Added bonus: I take up less real estate in a packed pub session by not needing full extension room.

It still isn’t “realistic” but it has definitely seeped into my Irish playing over the past year to become my own distinctive style, for better or worse.

I find the frequent bellows reversals give it some more lift/bounce
I try to achieve the same thing by modulating the bellow pressure, but without the frequent bellows reversals. I seldom go to full extension, except maybe at the end of a tune when holding a final chord.

Last edited:
Back