• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Tuba style bass

KeysFla

Reaction score
Listen to this song by Tom T Hall. Listen carefully to the bass. Almost sounds like a tuba? Or is it a bass guitar using effects? Or?

Listen to this song by Tom T Hall. Listen carefully to the bass. Almost sounds like a tuba? Or is it a bass guitar using effects? Or?

I'm a little perplexed by your apparant surpise that a tuba should be playing here.
They feature in many Dixie style bands.

I'm a little perplexed by your apparant surpise that a tuba should be playing here.
They feature in many Dixie style bands.
Yes, I thought it was a tuba at first…listening real close I think it is electric bass…maybe an upright string bass? Just my thought.

As an aside... I had totally forgotten about this song! Thanks for the reminder. I need to add it to my Oktoberfest repertoire. 🍻
Unfortunately most accordionists I meet these days used to like beer. Sad. 😢🤣🍰

As an aside... I had totally forgotten about this song! Thanks for the reminder. I need to add it to my Oktoberfest repertoire. 🍻
I had it requested one time and then added it to my list. Always have a notebook handy, to jot these things down when they are requested. As sometimes a requested song could be the hit of all parties. Happy oktoberfesten. A busy time for accordion players…🤓…the new owners at the Edelweiss are planning on All Toberfest en…😄…I even dedicated my web page to this event place. Exciting times we accordionist’s are living in…

True here as well- but sort of for the same reason that I no longer ride dirt bikes rather than anything to do with the beer.

"Alles Bier ist gutes Bier, aber das beste Bier ist das Freibier."

Words to live by ( at least they would be if my German is close to correct...).

Last edited:
That’s a six string electric bass doubling the upright. Made by the danelectro company..tuned an octave lower than guitar. In Nashville it’s called “tic tac” bass as it adds some top end to the upright. Harold bradley is probably playing it on the session.

Back